Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First appointment with midwife in 6 days and I need to appear heavier than I am any suggestions on how?

(80 Posts)
twinkletwinkle04 Wed 20-May-15 21:42:40

I'm pregnant with my 5th child and all my pregnancies have been high risk due to me being a tiny bit underweight for my heigh (167cm, 49.9kg).
All my children were born healthy but the fuss and constant scans were horrendous. I'm trying to avoid it this time by putting weight on in 6 days I'm failing miserably cause I don't seem to be getting any heavier. I've tried protein milkshakes but they are making me I'll. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. As much as I'm a tad underweight I am healthy I'm just naturally skinny.

ceebelle83 Wed 20-May-15 21:47:37

You're unlikely to put on significant enough weight in 6 days to make a difference honey- short of wearing concealed ankle weights!
Hope it goes ok love xx

LorryHen Wed 20-May-15 21:48:59

Wear heavy clothes? I'm not sure but you can refuse any care offered to you if you don't want it - even consultant appointments.

I think it's better to have the extra appointments, it's more opportunity to make sure everything is fine but if you are certain it won't have an effect then just refuse.

yummymango Wed 20-May-15 21:49:14

Heavy thick clothes and rocks in your pockets!

KleineDracheKokosnuss Wed 20-May-15 21:50:25

Refuse to tell them your weight or let them weigh you? If you've been fine previously and don't want the fuss, its probably to only way to stop to badgering.

KleineDracheKokosnuss Wed 20-May-15 21:51:29

Or just lie. I told my MW my weight - she never checked it herself.

lostmymittens Wed 20-May-15 21:52:43

I wouldn't try and fool her. You do know that the checks are for your and your baby's welling? Tell her about your previous experience, so that she understands your context and give you the best possible care. Be assertive if you don't want additionale scans etc. don't try pull the wool over your health professionals eyes.

lostmymittens Wed 20-May-15 21:53:23

Well-being even

EnlightenedOwl Wed 20-May-15 21:54:12

get some of those tiny metal weights and zip them in a pocket.

orangutanhihio Wed 20-May-15 21:54:46

Eat lots of cheese? Or peanut butter on toast? Protein and fat will help you and baby with gaining weight rather than carbs (or so I understand!).

WhirlpoolGalaxyM51 Wed 20-May-15 22:03:46

They won't weigh you will they? Or do they do that where you are. I don't remember being weighed.

In which case you can tell them whatever you like, I would think.

CorBlimeyTrousers Wed 20-May-15 22:03:55

I agree with lostmymittens. Be honest and tell your midwife about your previous experiences and that your weight is normal for you and you have had healthy pregnancies and babies at the same weight previously. But don't try to 'trick' her.

CorBlimeyTrousers Wed 20-May-15 22:04:43

I was weighed at my booking in appointment. I don't know if that's just because I'm a heifer or if it's standard!

WhirlpoolGalaxyM51 Wed 20-May-15 22:05:37

Then the midwife will follow procedure and tell her that she needs to submit to the same monitoring regime as for her other pregnancies.

Assuming OP is on the level and not trying to disguise an actual problem, then if I were her, I think I'd be telling porkies.

BikeRunSki Wed 20-May-15 22:06:31

Have a point of milk or water to drink before you go, and don't have a wee!

AbbeyRoadCrossing Wed 20-May-15 22:06:54

You aren't going to put on weight in 6 days if that's the weight you've been your whole life. You can decline any treatment so you can decline the extra scans if you want to. I always liked the extra scans, otherwise 20-40 weeks is a very long time but it's up to you

Piratespoo Wed 20-May-15 22:07:36

Underweight isn't healthy. Why don't you try and eat more healthily so you are not underweight rather than trying to hide it? Hiding a physical condition when health professionals might need to know seems barmy to me...especially when pregnant and you need to eat more and healthily for your baby's sake...

AbbeyRoadCrossing Wed 20-May-15 22:11:56

I hope you don't mind OP but I put your figures into the NHS BMI calculator. You are going to gain almost 11kg in 6 days, or by putting things in your pockets

AbbeyRoadCrossing Wed 20-May-15 22:12:38

*aren't I mean.

LorryHen Wed 20-May-15 22:15:09

Actually I wouldn't screw with your weight as on my 12 week screening test they used my weight to help calculate risk. Messing with test results won't help anyone

BIWI Wed 20-May-15 22:17:51

You are right at the bottom of the BMI range for your height. So, technically, you're not underweight.

However, talking about trying to hide things from your midwife is very concerning.

Are you actually naturally skinny or do you have a dysfunctional relationship with food?

Floggingmolly Wed 20-May-15 22:20:41

All your previous pregnancies have been high risk due to your weight... So why do you think it's a good idea attempt to fool your midwife?

WhirlpoolGalaxyM51 Wed 20-May-15 22:27:34

No, all of her previous pregnancies were deemed high risk by the HCPs.

But in fact, were perfectly normal. From what she says in the OP.

Mintyy Wed 20-May-15 22:27:53

If you are healthy and all your children have been born healthy then why have your pregnancies been "high risk"?

WhirlpoolGalaxyM51 Wed 20-May-15 22:32:19

Because she falls under what is considered the norm in terms of weight.

People get classified as "high risk" for all sorts of things, that is a statistical classification, it doesn't mean that as soon as that label is applied that individual is definitely likely to have problems.

As OP has had 4 previous children with no problems, and assuming she's not lying about being healthy, then I can see why she wants to avoid all the extra prodding this time around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now