Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Big Baby - early induction?

(14 Posts)
Life2012 Tue 19-May-15 15:47:15

Hello ladies.

I'm pregnant with my second child (a girl) - my son was born at 38 weeks weighing nearly 9lb and women in my family tend to give birth to big babies (I was over 10lb and my brother was over 9lb).

Since 28 weeks I have been having bi-weekly growth scan as baby is measuring above the 90th percentile. They've tested for gestational diabetes (which I haven't got) and my amniotic fluid levels are normal.

Im now 34 weeks and confused as to what's going to happen? Is not likely that she will suddenly slow down and drop a percentile so is it likely that they'll induce me and make her come a little earlier? I have just been to my midwife appointment and she once again confirmed she is still very much big and my bump is measuring ahead of dates.

Anyone has similar experience they want to share?

My DC1 was 9 lb and my DC2 was a planned c section at 38 weeks - predicted weight from scan 11 lb, actually weight 8 lb 6 blush

As DD was an emergency section I had the choice of vbac (but they wouldn't have induced due to previous section making that dangerous) or section but was advised to have a section due to DS2'S supposed enormous size. At 40 weeks he'd probably have been 9 lb to 9 lb 6 apparently, but the scans have quite a big margin of error as DC2 showed - he was nowhere near the predicted weight, though he was long (56cm).

Sorry... They may induce at 38 weeks if your dd was not born by section but not earlier IMO as earlier brings it's own risks.

Life2012 Tue 19-May-15 15:57:23

Thanks NurNoch for your reply - at my last growth scan (which was 32 weeks) the sonographer told me she was nearly 5lb in weight which sounded too heavy to me! I mean I'm big (and relatively bigger than in my first pregnancy) but the measurements seem a little dramatic.

Life2012 Tue 19-May-15 15:59:31

DD was born at 38 weeks but my waters broke on their own and I was induced because I started to bleed quite heavily and they wanted to get him out.

Notso Tue 19-May-15 16:14:02

Obviously it varies but I was told that as I'd had one normal delivery then there was no reason to induce for subsequent babies however large.

My first was only 7lb 1oz at 40 weeks, second was 9lb 5 oz at 41 weeks, third was 9lb 0.5oz at 37+ weeks and my fourth was 8lb 4 oz at 39 weeks.

Growth scans are hit and miss I was told my 4th would be well over 10lb.

madreloco Tue 19-May-15 16:42:56

Thats not an abnormally large size for a baby and it is not a clinical reason for early induction.

hullabaloo234 Thu 21-May-15 10:49:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Life2012 Tue 02-Jun-15 16:11:02

Hey ladies reviving this thread - I had a growth scan today and baby is measuring almost 3 weeks ahead (I'm currently 36 weeks pregnant) and the sonographer estimated the baby to weigh 3.6kg (8lb) already.

The midwife didn't seem that concerned she simply said "She is a big baby just like her brother" who was born at 38 weeks weighing nearly 9lb (4kg)

I have a consultant appointment next week (I'll be 37 weeks by then) should I push for an early induction? Will they make me go until my EDD? Slightly freaking out by the sheer size of her shock

coneywonder Tue 02-Jun-15 19:14:13

Hi I'm in a similar situation but not been offered any growth scans as of yet so watching with interest. Let us know how you get on?

I was told at my 34 week appointment that my baby is the top of the growthchart they do. I really don't understand the centile thing?

DrCoconut Wed 03-Jun-15 00:43:46

I'm under consultant care with DS3 (due in Sept) as DS2 weighed 9lbs 15. Will watch this thread with interest as I'm far from sure what will end up happening.

LittleBearPad Wed 03-Jun-15 00:57:53

Was told at 34 week scan that DS was on the 97 centile and would be 10lb at birth. He was 7lb 11oz at 39 weeks. Growth scans are not accurate at all.

RoseOolong Wed 03-Jun-15 01:09:47

Growth scans can be very inaccurate - I had a client recently who was advised by her private obstetrician to have a planned cesarean as her baby was too big to ever birth naturally, and she did- and the baby was a very normal 8lb. I also had a client who had a 10lb baby at home with not a stitch required! Try to trust your body as it can birth a juicy baby, but you could reduce your sugar intake and do some perperineal stretch massage to give yourself a helping hand. Some hypnobirthing will really help too. Natal hypnotherapy is great if you are quite far along as simple and there is just one main birth prep track to practise with. Good luck with your baby! X

Life2012 Tue 09-Jun-15 10:56:22

Update for anyone who's interested:

I'm now 37 weeks and I have just been for my consultant appointment following my growth scan last week which showed baby is above the 99th percentile. Given my history of big babies, family history of big babies and her current scan readings they have booked me in for a sweep and subsequent induction at 39 weeks.

When asked why I wasn't offered one with my son the consultant said they don't normally advise for early induction unless they have solid evidence that big babies run in the family and is thus safe to deliver.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now