Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

advice needed. slight TMI :(

(48 Posts)
HotFudge87 Tue 19-May-15 09:45:55

So. I'm 6+4 and just been to the loo, wiped, and there was a tiny (and i mean tiny) streak of blood iny discharge (really sorry for detail!)
Is this normal? Assuming its nothing to worry about? Or should I call midwife? I'm not due to see her til 10 weeks. I did go to circuits last night, didn't work flat out, but wondered if that could have caused it?

Any advice hugely appreciated smile x

Roseybee10 Tue 19-May-15 09:58:25

Spotting in early pregnancy can be common and doesn't always mean something is wrong. I would phone your local epu though and see if you can get an early scan x

RolyPolierThanThou Tue 19-May-15 12:35:03

My gp warned me about spotting between 6 and 8 weeks. Apparently it's common and usually nothing to worry about. Its only if you get bleeding like a period that you need to worry.

HotFudge87 Tue 19-May-15 14:28:11

Thank you. Been checking loads and no more bleeding but getting stomach cramps like AF is coming. Starting to worry more now sad x

Amyyy27 Tue 19-May-15 15:17:02

It could be nothing or something but any kind of bleed should be checked out. Either contact your epu, midwife or GP. Fx it's nothing! X

Life2012 Tue 19-May-15 16:10:04

Any bleeding at any stage needs to be checked out - call your midwife and ask to be seen. I suffered with spotting in both of pregnancies and everytime it happened (sometimes more than once in one week) I called the midwife or the hospital.

Good luck and I wish you a healthy pregnancy flowers

HotFudge87 Tue 19-May-15 16:37:39

Thanks. I called midwife as had coloured discharge, again hardly anything, but with the cramps I thought best. Got a scan on Thursday so fx all is OK. Thanks for the advice. X

madreloco Tue 19-May-15 16:40:38

OP does not need an epu appt or scan for a totally normal occurrence of a tiny smear of blood.
Please don't give this advice, people who really need the service can't get access because of things like that.
OP, its normal, many many people have the same. It is not an indication of anything.

HotFudge87 Tue 19-May-15 16:48:53

I also think it is nothing to worry about, described everything to mw and she said its probably just implantation bleeding but wanted me to have a scan just to make sure. I'm a health care assistant and see every day people abusing the services of the NHS. I can assure you I'm not abusing any service and purely following the advice of the midwife. X

Amyyy27 Tue 19-May-15 17:40:50

madrel how rude and incorrect. My mmc started with the tiniest streak of dark brown blood so don't go giving out incorrect advice. The service is there to check all is ok and people should not be made to feel guilty for that.

OP I'm not at all saying there is something wrong, it can be totally normal, but it does need to be checked out. And as far as I'm aware any professional would tell you that. Please don't feel bad for being checked over x

scarednoob Tue 19-May-15 17:51:37

I agree - any bleeding is NOT wasting the valuable time of the NHS, especially when they tell you to come in.

I've had 2 little bleeds; thank god all was well, but on both occasions the advice of the hospital was to go straight down for a scan. in fact, on the second occasion, I had booked a GP appointment first to see whether she thought it necessary - and she called me before the appointment to tell me to cancel it and go straight to the hospital.

GuybrushThreepwoodMP Tue 19-May-15 18:44:32

Ridiculous advice madreloco.

OP, give the epu a ring. They may not scan you as they might prefer to just see if it progresses. I had to fight to get seen when I was having what turned out to be a mmc.

As others have said, everything may be absolutely fine and plenty of people have spotting and it turns out fine. But for reassurance, or at least to just let the epu know, give them a ring.

Got my fingers crossed for you. It can be very scary.

ejclementine Tue 19-May-15 19:17:10

I also had some spotting (brown blood) and cramping (still have cramping now), but I'm happy to say I had a scan yesterday and all is well. Fingers crossed for you. It can be old blood from your uterus changing and stretching, which also causes the mild cramps. It's lovely to get the peace of mind from a scan though. Stress isn't good for you so it's important and worthwhile to check.

HotFudge87 Tue 19-May-15 19:17:24

Thank you for your kind words. Scan is booked for Thursday. Fx all is good. Xxx

Amyyy27 Tue 19-May-15 19:19:41

Great! Good luck for Thursday, will be thinking of you x

crazycatlady82 Tue 19-May-15 19:22:09

I had some brown spotting at 8 weeks and I am now 18+2.

I was on holiday and so worried I phoned my GP and booked a private scan for the day after I arrived back.

Definitely contact your GP or midwife for the peace of mind all is fine smile

xx

MissTwister Tue 19-May-15 19:37:23

I had blood in discharge twice early on and it was nothing. Never happened again!

gennibugs Tue 19-May-15 20:49:32

Good luck for Thursday. I echo the advice of others - absolutely get checked out if you are worried.

HotFudge87 Wed 20-May-15 07:49:52

A lot heavier this morning sad more like a period sad waiting for duty midwife to call back. Hope I can be seen today but have a feeling tomorrow is the soonest I'll be seen sad x

Amyyy27 Wed 20-May-15 08:00:36

Oh hotfudge sorry to hear that. Try and rest and Fx they will be able to fit you in today. Thinking of you flowers

Lilliana Wed 20-May-15 08:06:00

Sorry hotfudge I hope they can fit you in today and you get a good result. Try to rest and relax brewcake

HotFudge87 Wed 20-May-15 08:14:23

I don't think it'll be good news. My podge I'd built up has gone and im aching quite bad. Too scared to go to loo as don't want to see how much I've lost sad x

GuybrushThreepwoodMP Wed 20-May-15 08:23:30

HotFudge I'm sorry. Keeping my fingers crossed. I hope things at least become clear really soon- uncertainty is awful.

scarednoob Wed 20-May-15 08:26:24

So sorry you're having to go through all this. I think/hope if you tell them that, you might get seen earlier to help your state of mind if nothing else - I was seen the same day for something tiny, and that was at a really busy Central London hospital. If they say no and you really want to see someone today, would a private scan be impossible? Or trying a different EPU? Thinking of you lots.

HotFudge87 Wed 20-May-15 09:48:06

So midwife eventually called back. I can't be seen any sooner. I'm not sure where else there is around here I could go. Bleeding seems to have subsided for now, but still getting strong cramps sad luckily DH doesn't need to be in work so he's here looking after me and DD smile thanks for all your support. Means a lot x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now