Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

High risk question

(8 Posts)
OneLittleManOneInOven Mon 18-May-15 20:42:50

Hi, just been thinking about the birth of this little one (only 18 weeks) but I am classed as high risk due to obstrectic cholestasis in previous pregnancy and a premature birth. Is a water birth out of the question for me?

totallygone Tue 19-May-15 09:19:10

Probably. Might depend on where you are. I can't have one because I'm high risk too. The hospital say you can only have one if you're low risk and under midwife-led care. Best to ask the place you will be giving birth.

Number3cometome Tue 19-May-15 09:33:01

Did you have a Csection or was your induced with your last one?

I would imagine a WB would be out if you develop OC again as they may wish to deliver at 37 weeks.

However - no one can tell you what you can and cannot have, that is a decision for you after weighing up the risks.

My sister had OC, she was ELCS at 37 weeks.

heatherxo Tue 19-May-15 10:37:30

Would DVT put me in the high risk category? I would really love a water birth too!

OneLittleManOneInOven Tue 19-May-15 11:20:03

Thanks for responses! I was booked in to be induced at 37 weeks exactly due to the OC but LO decided to make an appearance spontaneously at 35+5, normal delivery and baby was well enough to come home the next day! I am consultant led but haven't had my first appointment yet (4th June) Will have a chat with consultant app and see what my chances of a WB are but I suppose it will all depend on the OC and whether it returns in this pregnancy :/

Number3cometome Tue 19-May-15 12:42:00

Did they class your last one as Prem? if so, again, they may say no incase baby does turn up early and need some help.

heatherxo yep

Remember though, as I said previously, it is still your choice how you labour, you can insist on whatever you want.

IfYouWereARiverIdLearnToFloat Tue 19-May-15 21:10:27

I'm classed as a high risk pregnancy & will be red pathway throughout but there's no reason my actual birth would be complicated by my medical history so when I see the consultant in a few weeks I'll be pushing for a midwife led birth, birth pool etc.

There's also no reason why they couldn't let you plan for midwife led with the option of switching to consultant if it's needed at the time?

AbbeyRoadCrossing Tue 19-May-15 21:45:14

Quite a few wards have birth pools now, so even if you're consultant led and on the ward it could still be an option. It'll depend on the facilities your hospital has.
I don't know about your other condition but I had a premature birth last time which means the midwife unit isn't an option for me as I don't meet the criteria but the ward has improved a lot facilities wise and doesn't seem that different

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now