Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Swollen Feet & Ankles

(7 Posts)
Tw1nkle Sun 17-May-15 18:44:13

When is 'swollen' 'too swollen'?
My feet are huge and so are my ankles. It's getting difficult to walk now as I cant bend my ankles!
I'm in flip flops as no shoes will fit!
Should I be worried?
The midwife says it's normal.
Any advice appreciated!

applecore0317 Sun 17-May-15 18:49:20

I was told by triage that only worry if the swelling is accompanied by headaches or blurred vision, swelling in the face and or hands.

Mine got bad from 35 weeks but has started to calm down now at 38+4 , mainly due to the fact that I bought some flight socks which have really helped.

scarednoob Sun 17-May-15 20:44:37

I'm afraid I can't answer the main question, but I thought it might help to try massaging them - my pre natal yoga teacher has us doing sweeping massage down inner and outer legs, then feet and ankles. Better yet, get your OH to do it! It makes a big difference to mine, which are already quite puffy by the end of the day at only 19 weeks!

SignoraStronza Sun 17-May-15 20:54:25

Treat yourself to a Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) massage by a proper Vodder trained therapist. Watch them do one leg/cankle and then marvel at the difference between the two. Not something you'd find at a standard spa or beauty salon, so look on www.mlduk.org.uk

abbiebunn Sun 17-May-15 21:25:05

I'm swollen all over! My midwife checked my blood pressure and urine in case it was pre eclampcia. Its not lol. I'm just one of those who swell apparently.

Toothfairy7 Sun 17-May-15 21:30:11

I'm 23 weeks now and for the past week swelling in my feet and ankles has also started!! Or cankles should I say! I can hardly get socks and shoes on and they look like elephants feet! I raise then on pillows when in bed which seems to help but as soon as the weekend has passed and I'm back at work, that's it for the week again. I'm on my feet quite a lot

Lunastarfish Sun 17-May-15 21:33:29

Have you tried body brushing? I suffer with swollen ankles in general & was expecting it to be bad during pregnancy but I'm in my third trimester now and haven't had any issues. I have also had a couple of lymphatic massages

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now