Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help!!! Hairy!!

(34 Posts)
MumToBe2015R Sun 17-May-15 14:45:48

First pregnancy! And I'm shocked at how hairy I've become!! Forget arms & legs which I'm constantly having to shave. But now it's upper lip, chin & eyebrows!!

Before I got pregnant I had PCOS so was used to the facial hairynes lol.

But down there is becoming so bad, I'm scared when the baby comes they won't be able to see the head through all the hair! It's so embarrassing!!

Is it something that needs to be shaved before baby comes or will they still see his head coming out.

So embarrassed

shockhmmblushconfused

chopsface Sun 17-May-15 15:30:39

Lol! I remember my mum saying they shaved all the ladies before birth and gave them laxatives in her day when I was born! I'm rather hairy Erm down there myself which I'm embarassed about but I'm not planning on shaving! They probably would if you needed stitches or something?! Who knows.

Gillian1980 Sun 17-May-15 15:36:48

I'm a fair bit overgrown down there too but the midwives etc won't be fazed - they'll have seen all sorts!

I actually noticed a sign in our local maternity until advising mums not to shave in the 2 weeks in the lead up to their due date. It said if it's necessary for delivery then the staff will do it.

To be honest I'd be a bit worried about having an accident due to restricted view and access! But I was thinking of using the trimmer on my electric shaver to trim it shorter.

MumToBe2015R Sun 17-May-15 15:49:59

Yes or even Veet Hair removing cream?

chopsface Sun 17-May-15 16:02:09

I thought you couldn't use removing cream during pregnancy?

I'd rather someone else do it for me if needed! I currently trim it but can you still see down there with a massive bump!?

Bair Sun 17-May-15 16:11:37

Trim with clippers is as far as I'd go. With a GOOD guard on and the help of someone who loves you very much.

Long hair down below is a bastard when you're having the worlds biggest period post birth, shaved can cause issue with stitches (think grow back itching then add some tender stitches on top).

Veet can burn you and you may be more sensitive to it when pregnant.

MumToBe2015R Sun 17-May-15 18:24:12

I only used hair removing last week under arms. Never down there, but was a thought. Wasn't aware of not using during pregnancy. Oops!

Rockchick1984 Sun 17-May-15 18:38:54

Hair removing cream is safe during pregnancy, but your skin is more sensitive so always do a patch test first!

Flisspaps Sun 17-May-15 18:43:08

You don't need to wax/shave/Veet.

If you WANT to then carry on as normal, but don't do it because you are worried about what the MW night think grin

lauraa4 Sun 17-May-15 20:27:27

I'm still shaving down there only because of personal preference, but I'm doing it less and less as the weeks go on because I'm starting to not be able to see over my bump grin.

Looks very odd most of the time because I'm bald in some parts and hairy in others!

Bair Sun 17-May-15 20:33:12

I'm sure midwives have seen it all. Hairy, baldy, patchy, vajazzly. I don't think there is any amount of hair that could get in the way of birthing.

It'll look like the second coming of Keegan when I give birth.

scarednoob Sun 17-May-15 20:34:02

There was a thread about this a while ago, where someone was debating waxing pre labour. Someone else posted 5 words that haunt my very soul to this day:

"Hairs. Get. Stuck. In. Stitches."

On the back of this, I may go for the Hollywood beforehand!

Also there is an old wives tale that increased hair growth means you are having a boy - anyone got any thoughts on that?!

lauraa4 Sun 17-May-15 20:37:39

I was told something like that. I'm having a boy but have only really noticed the top of my stomach above my belly button getting quite hairy. Not thick or dark hairs but look very odd if I look closely. Apart from that I'm no more hairy then before.

Bair Sun 17-May-15 20:44:38

I'm having a girl and I look like I'm wearing a fur onesie. Strangely though my tache has fallen out, I kind of miss it.

scarednoob Sun 17-May-15 20:46:31

Interesting - your 2 experiences seem to put that old wives tale back in its box!

lauraa4 Sun 17-May-15 20:52:11

I was told that if you suffer from heartburn your baby will have lots of hair!? I'm wondering if this is true as if so I'm going to be having one hairy baby!

Bair Sun 17-May-15 20:54:00

I know that anecdotes aren't data, but I had the worst heartburn with DS and he came out like a wee monkey, back fur and a full head of hair. I'll let you know when this one comes if it's true this time round!

lauraa4 Sun 17-May-15 20:55:26

Oh so could be true then lol grin when are you due?

Bair Sun 17-May-15 20:56:17

September. I do gaviscon like I used to do shots.

MrsHenryCrawford Sun 17-May-15 21:00:38

Ds had a fine head of hair and I had no trouble with heartburn.

On my last pregnancy I went for a bikini wax at 37 weeks as I could not longer see my nether regions, beautician told me she sees a lot of heavily pregnant women

lauraa4 Sun 17-May-15 21:00:50

I'm due in September too smile

I know what you mean - I've found Zantac amazing!

Bair Sun 17-May-15 21:08:17

What's Zantac?

Flisspaps Sun 17-May-15 21:12:38

Personally, I found would have found the constantly itchy re growth FAR worse than anything getting caught in stitches.

Keegan is a fair description grin

BlacknWhitePanda Sun 17-May-15 21:13:33

During labour you just wont care. I would have given birth on the London subway as long as he came out!

As for hairy babies and heartburn.. Ds has the most thickest beautiful hair ever and I didn't have even a little bit of heartburn.

lauraa4 Sun 17-May-15 21:46:09

Zantac is for heartburn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now