Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant and breastfeeding

(14 Posts)
MistletoeBUTNOwine Sun 17-May-15 11:22:55

Anyone else?
I'm 5 weeks tomorrow smile
DS is 16months old and still BF- but I'm worried it's taking its toll on me too much. I only weigh 8st 4 (5'6 tall) so don't have much reserve!
Feeling shaky and faint today despite eating a bowl of cereal, 2 poached eggs and 2 slices toast with butter! And sugary tea and choc chip cookies.
Quite keen to stop BF but DS is nowhere near ready, and it's the easiest way to get him to sleep!
Anyone else in the same boat? Or have some advice for when he cries of i do stop BF? Especially in the night..,

RainbowTortoise Sun 17-May-15 19:51:48

I fell pregnant when my DD was 19 months. Between weeks 6-8, she began to cut down her feeds (especially night time) and asked for me to rub her back instead if she woke in the night. By week 16 I had no milk so she dry nursed, by week 22 I noticed she was more keen to feed again and that I was producing milk again. Not a lot (can't hear her swallow) but she still seems keen to continue to feed.

Like you, I find it an easy way to settle her and she still likes the comfort. I am 26 weeks pregnant now so looks like I will be tandem feeding for a while.

Apparently around 25% of toddlers self wean during their mothers pregnancy. Around 50% are weaned (either self weaned or weaned by the mother).

creamoftomato Sun 17-May-15 20:06:43

Following! I'm 17 weeks today and ds1 is 13 months. He feeds first thing in the morning and at bedtime (though he'd never say no if I offered more often; and I have been feeding him more when he's been ill). I don't think he's noticed any changes, or if he has he's not letting on. I think maybe I'm noticing less swallowing but not sure.

He's definitely got no interest in stopping at the moment so I'm vaguely thinking I'll be tandem feeding at least for a while, unless something changes for him later in the pregnancy. He does still wake at night (usually at least twice) too but I haven't fed him at night now for weeks and weeks, though we cosleep and he's never really got used to that!

I'm feeling better in myself this week but was utterly exhausted and had horrendous morning sickness from weeks 6-15ish. Definitely I have to be constantly grazing and drinking water to keep my energy up (and have been incredibly thirsty). Hoping for you that it will get easier once you get past these early weeks!

AnyRailway Sun 17-May-15 20:11:52

There is a wonderful book about tandem nursing, by Hillary Flowers, which is well worth getting hold of.

I didn't find it easy, but am very glad persevered.

Some of the exhaustion you are feeling is maybe just the stress of being pregnant with a toddler on the scene. Hope your Dp is being supportive.

TheEggityOddity Sun 17-May-15 20:27:53

In the same boat. Just found out I'm pregnant today. DS is 3.5 so we can actually chat confused about milk supply and he says there's lots of milk right now!

TheEggityOddity Sun 17-May-15 20:30:43

Sounds like you do need to keep an eye on yourself. I feel faint sometimes too but that is a normal feeling in pregnancy. Might be worth checking with your doc about your folic acid intake. I read somewhere you may need more if breastfeeding so might be worth asking. Same goes for calorie intake I guess.

MistletoeBUTNOwine Sun 17-May-15 21:43:36

Thanks for all the replies smile
I'm going to see doc tomorrow, will ask about vitamins etc. tbh I don't fancy the idea of tandem feeding; not at the moment anyway...

MistletoeBUTNOwine Mon 18-May-15 16:59:02

Yep, well doc was useless! Clueless. Even managed to calculate my due date to be mid July 2016 confused

Midwife apt in 2 weeks

AnyRailway Mon 18-May-15 18:22:07

Good luck with the midwife. GPs often do not have much training about breastfeeding issues.

MistletoeBUTNOwine Mon 18-May-15 20:09:32

Thanks any. Yes DP is being supportive, he's away this week but when he's home next week I'm thinking about moving into the spare room so ds can't BF during the night- see if we can wean him that way (so he still co sleeps and gets cuddles but no milk)

cookiefiend Mon 18-May-15 20:51:36

I am about 14w and Dd is 20m. My supply has definetly dropped and we have had to start giving her cows milk. She still feeds in the morning at night and sometimes during the day. She is latching on and off loads though which is annoying as my nipples are a little sore. Hoping my supply picks back up again as I think it is dry nursing causing the pain.

MistletoeBUTNOwine Tue 19-May-15 08:30:23

I've started to bleed this morning, at work. Going to EPAU shortly to see what the verdict is.
sad

AnyRailway Tue 19-May-15 09:36:54

Oh no, hope every thing is okay...

MistletoeBUTNOwine Tue 19-May-15 11:36:12

Thanks, scan inconclusive (couldn't see anything) so blood tests and wait. Either mc, ectopic or just v early pg.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now