Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Cyst on baby's kidney found at 20 wk scan

(6 Posts)
Southender2015 Mon 11-May-15 15:24:19

I'm waiting for a follow up appointment with a consultant regarding a cyst that was found on baby's kidney during the 20 week scan. Wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience in this or a previous pregnancy, and what the outcome was. I'm really worried.

ceebelle83 Mon 11-May-15 15:44:23

This happened at my 20 week scan 6 weeks ago. As long as it's only one kidney and there is a normal amount of amniotic fluid then it's not a big deal as the other kidney is functioning fine.
The consultant at my follow up appointment did not seem troubled at all despite the cystic kidney measuring 2.6cm where it should only be about 5mm. She said, and I quote, "If your baby has to have any birth defect, this is the one you want it to have as it tends to sort itself out."

I know I freaked out at first and was really worried, but now I barely think about it at all! Another scan in 3 weeks time so will know more then I suppose!

ceebelle83 Mon 11-May-15 15:45:13

Don't worry!!!xx

Southender2015 Mon 11-May-15 16:43:02

Thank you! That helps. I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us then x

Cluesue Mon 11-May-15 16:47:15

My daughter has a multicystic kidney and she's nearly 3 and absolutely fine,the other kidney does the job x

Naturegirl82 Mon 11-May-15 17:51:32

DD had a possible cyst on her kidney picked up at the 20 week scan. They thought it had grown by 28 week scan so they monitored it throughout the rest of the pregnancy. Ultrasound the day after DD was born showed no kidney on that side so they think the cyst was the kidney but it didn't develop further. DD is perfectly fine with the one kidney. smile

Nobody seemed concerned about the cyst on the kidney though. Have you been offered a repeat scan when the baby has grown as the kidneys are so small still at that stage it's hard to see things clearly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now