Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

unplanned pregnancy, how long did you have to wait for termination appointment?

(10 Posts)
silver1977 Mon 11-May-15 08:54:24

Hi, I have just found out I am 5 and a half weeks pregnant, not planned and wanted at all. DH and I feel really silly, have 3 wonderful children already and life is good, really do not want another child and both agree on an abortion. I phoned Bpas last night and the earliest consultation appointment they could give me is 9 days away! From what I have read they then give you another appointment date to come back for the first pill then back again for the 2nd. Did anyone else have to wait this long? I just want it all over with, have 3 children to deal with and feel sick already, I suffered really bad morning sickness from this stage with all 3 pregnancies before so this is gonna be a tough week! I am worried about not coping at work this week while waiting and then I will no doubt not be able to go in the following week and don't want to have to tell anyone else the reason (my sister is my sort of boss!). Does anyone else know if I go to my gp I could get a referral quicker? Sorry for long post!

WhoNickedMyName Mon 11-May-15 09:06:42

I went to my gp on the Monday morning, he phoned me on Monday afternoon to tell me I had an appointment for Thursday. on Thursday I had a scan and was given first lot of tablets at that appointment, then went back into hospital on the Saturday morning for the second lot of tablets. this was about 10 years ago.

WhoNickedMyName Mon 11-May-15 09:08:49

meant to add, apart from the Thursday morning I didn't need any time off work, took it easy over the weekend and was back at work on the Monday as usual.
thanks

TwiceAsNiceAsIceAndaSlice Mon 11-May-15 09:26:37

I had mine done privately as the wait was ridiculous on the nhs. We paid £500 (back in 2010).

I saw my gp on the Wed who referred me. By the following Mon I hadn't heard anything so chased it up and she had sent the referral that morning shock At this point we phoned a private clinic who saw us that Thur for the tablet and the next day for the pessary.

I had the nhs appointment letter in the post the following week for a consultation the week after which would have meant the procedure taking place the week after that. So about 4wks after my first contact with the gp.

As an aside, the nhs route meant travelling 20miles to a sexual health clinic for the consultation, the two 30 mile journeys to the middle of a city to the clinic for the actual termination. How any young/skint/vulnerable woman could have managed that is beyond me. It was hard for me as a grown adult with access to cash and support from family.

I hope you get seen quickly flowers

BumWad Mon 11-May-15 10:02:32

Might be worth moving/ posting this on the pregnancy choices section...

brokencrayons Mon 11-May-15 10:07:23

What bumwad said...

OneLittleManOneInOven Mon 11-May-15 11:49:12

Agree with bumwad and broke crayons

silver1977 Mon 11-May-15 12:56:56

Ok thanks for the replies, really appreciate it, apologies if posted on wrong section - I spent ages looking and it didn't seem obvious where to post really! Will look into going private I think, thanks ladies! flowers

TwiceAsNiceAsIceAndaSlice Mon 11-May-15 13:07:48

Good luck flowers

OneLittleManOneInOven Mon 11-May-15 13:15:22

I don't think anyone will mind it being here, just think you will get better responses in the other section smile flowers good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now