Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First consultant appointment- what to expect?

(7 Posts)
LorryHen Sun 10-May-15 20:36:24

I am 16 weeks and I have my first consultant appointment in 5 days.

I have no idea what I'm meant to expect or what will happen.

I'm sure it depends on why you're consultant led, I have a bmi of 35.5 and a fibroid.

Any insight would be helpful? Not sure if I'll be having bloods or examinations.

tattyteddy Sun 10-May-15 20:42:10

I Hadoop on Friday as I had to have an EMCS last time. They checked urine, read over notes and discussed what I would want this pregancy, all going well, eg ELCS VBAC. Also booked me in for GTT trst at 24 weeks as I had 8lb 10 baby and I'm tiny xx

Evianbaby15 Sun 10-May-15 20:43:29

Place marking as I will be booked into see the consultant also on this one.
EMCS last time.

LovelyWeatherForDucks Sun 10-May-15 20:48:48

In my experience...(shared care as wanting a VBAC) Scan for growth/position....wait an hour and see a midwife who does usual checks.....wait another hour to see consultant who rattles through the options/risks/benefits in 2 mins flat. Done! As my reason for shared care is birth related rather than pregnancy related I'm hoping my appointment a bit nearer the time will be more useful.

Teeste Sun 10-May-15 21:04:58

I'm 34 weeks and consultant led due to BMI. All they do is what midwives do - BP, urine, general chat. They may offer you an appointment with a nutritionist too and recommend baby aspirin. Also like Ducks says, there's a lot of waiting around!

Gillian1980 Sun 10-May-15 21:49:32

I had my first consultant appointment last week, due to high bmi and also a bicornuate uterus.

I had my urine checked and they listened to the heartbeat. No scan. We discussed risks associated with my issues and possible implications on the birth. Took 10-15 mins. Booked in for another appointment at 34 weeks.

IfYouWereARiverIdLearnToFloat Sun 10-May-15 22:54:06

I have first consultant appointment coming up at 13 weeks. I'll be reviewed by an endocrinologist anyway every 6 weeks so not really sure what the obstetrics consultant will add as other than taking thyroxine for 22 years I'm fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now