Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Count the kicks with anterior placenta

(10 Posts)
Mamabear14 Sun 10-May-15 16:53:27

I am 29 weeks pregnant tomorrow, and have anterior placenta. I am feeling some movement but not strong. It feels like a bubbling that makes my stomach move a tiny bit but I can barely feel it. Occasionally I can feel lumps under my hand when she's wiggling. I am quite worried about something going wrong in this pregnancy, probably irrationally, but how am I supposed to count the kicks when I hardly feel any?

Littlemissjt Sun 10-May-15 17:40:41

I've been wondering about this too. I'm 28 weeks tomorrow and also have an anterior placenta. I do feel movement everyday, usually when I go to bed or go for a bath I can see my tummy move. I think you've just got to trust what's normal for you. I had a quiet day and went for a bath and it had a good wriggle about. Speak to your midwife to see what they recommend.

sarkymare Sun 10-May-15 18:24:16

General advice seems to be not to
Count the kicks anymore and instead get to know your baby's usual pattern from 28 weeks onwards. Eg baby is usually more active after lunch and in the evening.

TimeforaDietCoke Sun 10-May-15 19:04:54

I'm finding exactly the same with a low anterior placenta. I'm currently 26 weeks and have already been to the hospital twice with reduced movements. I'm keeping a record of the times of active periods (often coinciding with when I'm trying to get to sleep or in the middle of the night!) and trying not to focus on counting the kicks as much.

pocketsized Sun 10-May-15 19:09:08

I had an anterior placenta and found I could often feel more movement from the outside rather than the inside. I had several trips to the hospital for reduced movement, where I was put on a monitor and could hear the baby moving around loads, but I couldn't feel a thing. If at any point you are concerned I would call the hospital, they were always more than willing to hook me up and check on the baby, who is now 7 weeks old and doing great, despite my worrying!

LizziW Sun 10-May-15 19:49:14

I had this. I found lying in the bath on my tummy I could feel loads more movement. (Propping myself up on elbows so tummy just touching bath)

MSMB Sun 10-May-15 19:56:52

I'm now 35 weeks pregnant with an anterior placenta but felt exactly the same. Didn't feel any movement until about 24 weeks and felt really anxious as some days felt hardly any movement up to about 30 weeks, especially if I was busy working. My midwife advised if I ever felt worried to drink either ice cold water or a sugary drink and lie on my left side with my hand on my tummy- it always seemed to work if I wanted to feel a kick. You get to know the pattern of movements rather than counting the kicks and they do get much stronger after 30 weeks.

LG1979 Sun 10-May-15 20:01:21

I'm 33 weeks with an anterior placenta and felt much the same until the last 2-3 weeks. I could feel the kind of bubbling feeling in my tummy but not strong movement til recently. I would tend to drink an ice cold drink and lie down and I could feel it a little more.

Zampa Sun 10-May-15 22:16:54

Also have an ap over here. Often the baby moving feels more like a shift in pressure than a jab or kick.

The movement also lessened when the baby shifted into a transverse breech position which led to a trip to the hospital for a check. As pocket said, the staff were lovely and helpful and most importantly reassuring. Likewise, even when the monitors detected movement, I couldn't feel it.

Zampa Sun 10-May-15 22:17:37

Oh and the cold or sugary drink doesn't work for me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now