Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

help

(12 Posts)
juniorbabybump123 Sun 10-May-15 15:07:48

Stretch mark help angry xx

sophiaslullaby Sun 10-May-15 17:09:36

My sister said to use any cream with vitamin E in it. I use Palmers cocoa butter as LOVE the smell but vit E cream is available (smells bit dusty though!).
Massage it in everywhere morn and night. That'll help the elasticity of the skin. Then make sure you drink plenty of fluids to help with skin texture. My sister only got a couple of s.marks in last couple of weeks so hoping the above is a winning technique.

NB -im not a doctor just advise from what ive read and been told from Mum and people who've been there, done that.

MishMooshAndMogwai Sun 10-May-15 17:17:17

I used palmers last time and it didn't work for me but this time I have sanctuary stretch mark oil from boots which my friend swears by (and has a distinct lack of stretch marks). Only had it a few days but using it lots so we'll see!

Skiptonlass Sun 10-May-15 19:00:01

It's genetic, unfortunately. Nothing you can put on will stop you from getting them if you're predisposed to getting them. People will tell you that their friend/cousin/gerbil's manicurist used x and swears by it, but the depressing truth is its in your genes smile

Moisturising does help with the dry itchy feeling you get when the skin expands though, so keep on slathering it on (and it's nice to pamper yourself a bit.) Cocoa butter as mishmoosh says is lovely and smells great. That and monoi are my favourites, but almond oil is nice too.

5YearsTime Sun 10-May-15 19:07:05

It's genetic. Anyone who 'swears by' some random product as they never got stretch marks is because genetically they aren't predisposed to stretch marks.

sophiaslullaby Sun 10-May-15 20:53:19

I'm liking the sound of this genetic talk, neither my mum nor my sister got many so i hope im lucky. But then they both had lovely skin when younger and i definately didnt so the genetics missed me there!
If nothing else the cocoa butter smells nice.
Ooo, almond oil -yes thats lovely too smile

Allthatnonsense Sun 10-May-15 21:30:15

It may be genetic, but you'll feel better knowing that you did everything that you could to prevent them.

I'm on my 4th and have not had any stretch marks yet. I have used oil, either bio or Clarins.

SalyCinnamon Sun 10-May-15 21:35:41

I have lots and used every oil and cream so I do believe it is genetic, however I understand the feeling of wanting to feel like you're doing something to prevent them.

The only thing I have to add is drinking lots of water to keep your skin hydrated.

I can also honestly say that once you start working out and getting your stomach back in shape they don't look half as bad as when your stomach is 'stretched'

I am covered in them, all over my stomach, back, hips, thighs.. But I really don't care about them so much, they have reduced in appearance massively (my Ds is 5 months old) and I am growing to accept them flowers

jugglingmonkey Sun 10-May-15 21:39:25

Bio oil and palmers tummy butter... I was lucky and got none, suspect generic though as neither did my mum - don't worry about them though.
I like my saggier boobs, a reminder of my nursing days wink

brokencrayons Mon 11-May-15 22:13:14

I'm stretch mark free and on baby number 3. I never even moisturiser my tummy so it's definitely genetic!

SweetAndFullOfGrace Mon 11-May-15 22:15:56

Genes and age cause stretch marks, not lack of moisturiser. Oddly it's being younger that's the problem, my midwife told me that women under 25 are more likely to get stretch marks.

GymBum Tue 12-May-15 05:45:07

I believe it's genetics. Apparently the layer of skin damaged is too deep for oils and creams to penetrate but I still used bio oil morning and night every day from the moment I found out I was pregnant till DD was born. I didn't get any streach marks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now