Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

hypermesis hell

(5 Posts)
megfraser94 Sun 10-May-15 10:02:12

Hi everyone! I am 11 weeks pregnant and have suffered from hypermesis since 5 weeks, I was hospitalised last weekend and put on a drip as I was badly dehydrated with over 3 ketones showing in my urine, I would just like to hear anybody else with the same thing and to know I am not alone in this, ive lost 2 stone in a matter of weeks and can't function with daily life anymore.. Anybody got any useful tips or anything? Thanks

mangoespadrille Sun 10-May-15 19:54:07

I was hospitalised 6 times until I was eventually put on steroids at 18 weeks. They tried to wean me off them but the sickness just returned so I was on them throughout the pregnancy and on a steroid drop during labour.

It is so, so difficult but it is so worth it. DD is four months now and we are over the moon with her. congratulations on the pregnancy, commiserations on the HG, take it a day at a time and I promise it'll all be forgotten when you have your precious baby.

I also had ptyalism (constant excess saliva), acne, "moon face" (from the steroids) and aches and pains all over.

mangoespadrille Sun 10-May-15 19:57:51

Sorry, posted early and last two paragraphs swapped over for some reason. My advice would be don't just accept it. As my wonderful consultant said, it's important that you feel as well as possible and are able to eat and hold down food/fluids. Keep going back and trying different medications until you find the right thing for you (although hopefully your HG will ease on its own in the second trimester).

5YearsTime Sun 10-May-15 20:00:26

There is a long running hyperemesis thread on the pregnancy board. Lucinda and the rest of the lovely ladies will help you.

It does pass.... It might not feel like it now but it does! Currently stuck to the sofa feeding my LO and not felt sick since the birth at all!

BikeRunSki Sun 10-May-15 20:02:47

I've soooo been there meg, utterly miserable, grim time - both pregnancies. Between weeks 7-15 I was in and out of hospital for anywhere between 2 days and 2 weeks. Fortunately I had a sympathetic GP. I also lost 2 stone because I couldn't keep a thing down, not water, not nothing. I couldn't even shower or brush my teeth without throwing up. I couldn't get out of bed without throwing up. I was utterly, utterly miserable. Sounds like you are going through the same as me, and you have my every sympathy.

This website might help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now