Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Abnormal smear now pregnant

(11 Posts)
Polarbearcub Sat 09-May-15 20:27:05

I had an abnormal smear result at the gps and was referred for a colposcopy with low level changes. At the colposcopy I was told I had some cells they wanted to monitor and I had follow up colposcopy and smear six months later (last June) at that appointment I was told that unless the smear showed anything different I would have a follow up smear in a year. Fast forward a year and I'm now 16 weeks pregnant and have just received the letter for a follow up smear. I've looked on the NHS website and it looks like the midwife should have done a smear at the 8 week appointment but I didn't think about it and so didn't mention it so she wouldn't have known to. Apart from being annoyed at myself for not realising I needed to mention it does anyone know if there is anything they can or will do now or do I just need to wait now until after the end of the pregnancy? Anyone have any experience of this? Thanks in advance for any advice!

dementedpixie Sat 09-May-15 20:29:50

The midwife wouldn't normally do a smear at any appointment. I don't know how safe smears are in pregnancy

dementedpixie Sat 09-May-15 20:31:52

Did your midwife know about the abnormal smear?

YouMakeMyHeartSmile Sat 09-May-15 20:34:02

I had an almost identical situation. I explained to my midwife and they said they wouldn't do a smear in pregnancy and to wait til afterwards. Had one when DD was 12 weeks which was normal, surprisingly. Was due to go for a follow up after 6 months, just before going found out I was pregnant again and now will have to wait until this baby is born (currently 32 weeks).

Polarbearcub Sat 09-May-15 20:34:48

I said I'd had one in the past but that I wasn't awaiting any treatment or anything -forgetting about the repeat smear request 12 months later

Bugsylugs Sat 09-May-15 20:35:18

To do a smear you need training and a number I would doubt most midwives would do enough in a year to remain trained. Smears are not normally done in pregnancy as the cells change.
I would speak to the clinic it is usually left until a few months after delivery.
Good luck with the pregnancy

Polarbearcub Sat 09-May-15 20:53:01

Thanks for all your responses - Feels like just another thing to worry about so will try and keep it under control! I have a midwife appointment coming up so will make sure to discuss it then and see what she /he says

BlueBee Sat 09-May-15 20:57:07

I still have smears when I'm pregnant. I had cin 3 6 years ago so am still closely monitored. It's not a full smear as such but I still go to the hospital and they have a look up there.

Levismum Sat 09-May-15 22:58:47

I had cin 3 but i was discharged from hospital care after 6 months & now only have smears every 3 years.

Purpleboa Sun 10-May-15 01:50:56

I am on yearly checks after treatment for cin2 in 2012. Next one due now, but gp just said I should come back after I've given birth (due next month). Still got the reminder through the post though which made me panic. It caused me a lot of anxiety and am worried they'll find something at the check up, that maybe pregnancy will have accelerated growth - even though last smear was clear! Hate having the reminder during what should be a happy time. Everytime I have a check up I freak out till I get the results back sad can't say I'm looking forward to doing it again...

sherbertlemon17 Sun 10-May-15 16:29:10

Hey Polarbear, hopefully I can help put your mind at ease... I had a smear with abnormal results back in early April, and between having the smear and getting the results I fell pregnant. Literally got my bfp the day before my colposcopy! I only tested just in case they had to do any treatment!

I was obviously a wreck that they'd say that the pregnancy couldn't continue etc etc because of treatment, but they performed the colposcopy to check me out anyway and discovered a small number of changes in the cells. They've said they'll monitor me closely and I have another appointment on the 2nd July. The consultant said, you can have smears, colposcopy's when pregnant and it is perfectly safe and if any treatment is needed they will do it after delivery.

So definitely go for your smear, but obviously speak to the nurse first.

Hope this helps smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now