Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Overwhelmed and not sure where to start..

(15 Posts)
craftynanny Sat 09-May-15 18:54:27

Hi all..
Went shopping today to buy our first few bits for first baby, due September..we had 20 week scan on Thursday and they couldn't tell the sex..it may be tricky too due to scar tissue floating about down there, so we're preparing ourselves for just having a surprise in September (perfectly happy too!)
However looking at the tiny clothes today, had know idea where to start..do I buy new born/early/tiny baby? what's the best thing to do?

xxx

Whatabout Sat 09-May-15 19:03:54

Unless you have reason to think it will be early or small, newborn or up to 1 month. Check the weights on the sizes as they vary between shops. Don't buy too much as they grow very fast!

BifsWif Sat 09-May-15 19:04:05

I bought mostly 0-3 months as my last baby was big, but I have popped into Primark and bought a few newborn baby grows too just incase!

You don't need tiny baby in advance, if necessary partner can pop out and buy those for you. I would get mainly newborn (check sizes though, some go up to 7lb, some up to 10lb) and two or three 0-3 months - you'll find that most people buy this size as a gift when baby is born.

Do you mind second hand clothes? There are some great clothing bundles on eBay with a variety of sizes in them smile

craftynanny Sat 09-May-15 19:20:37

thank you all, no I'm not against eBay bits actually..especially after looking at the price of stuff todayconfused I was also surprised at how long the new born sleepsuits were! they looked enormous! No we don't have any reason to think it may be a teeny tiny one, all measures about right so far..thanks all!

Check to see if your local NCT branch has Nearly New Sales - they are great places to get clothes, toys and equipment.

It is such fun buying things for your first baby - enjoy it! And many congratulations.

ConcreteElephant Sat 09-May-15 19:28:24

I'd agree that 0-3 months would be your best bet but not too much as you'll likely get gifts and they'll grow out of them before you know it!

DD was a bit prem and her arms and legs didn't even reach the arms and legs of the babygros we took to hospital. DH went to John Lewis in a daze and stood helplessly in the baby section. A lovely lady brought him a basket and sorted him out in about 20 minutes so these things can certainly be done last minute if necessary ;)

Have fun!

Hotpotpie Sat 09-May-15 19:32:44

I bought a few 0-3 months baby grows and put a load of money to one side so that once baby arrived we could get what we needed, a week before I was due a friend passed me some white tiny baby grows which on a whim a chucked in my hospital bag and they where all that fitted initially, dh just nipped out and bought the stuff we needed shortly after birth

AbbeyRoadCrossing Sat 09-May-15 19:38:34

I'd probably get a few bits in each, I think newborn or first size for after the birth although check the labels as they vary from shop to shop. I stupidly bought all 0-3 as I was told to expect a big baby, and DS wasn't in it until 3 months old! People brought us tiny to the hospital so no big deal. Supermarkets do very cheap sets if you want to cover all bases though

lastnightiwenttomanderley Sat 09-May-15 20:06:55

Hi OP. Not sure if you've been on the September thread? I'm due 21st.

If you're the kind of person that likes to be prepared and feel like its all under control then don't forget that John Lewis have no time limit on returns. If you wanted to you could get some smaller bits and if not required, take them back. As others have said these things can be sorted at short notice at the last minute if need be. Even most of the24 hr supermarkets now stock basic baby stuff. Try not to worry.

Racheyg Sat 09-May-15 20:19:12

nanny I thought my ds1 was going to be huge so I didnt buy newborn/up to 1 month and even thou he weighed 8lb 1oz he was long and lean and everything hung of him, so Sister in law made a quick dash to mothercare and tesco.

like a previous post buy a bit of each size as they do grow quick and even if they are only in the newborn for a few weeks you still have got some use. Baby gro's are pretty cheap and good quality from tesco and wash up well. (i love babies wearing white)

Also I made the mistake of buying lots of clothes and ds hardly worn them and lived in baby gro/romper suits as I couldnt be faffed with all the changing.

have fun shopping smile

craftynanny Sat 09-May-15 20:25:59

thank you everyone! Yes I have been on the September thread 'lastnight'..I'm usually found posting anxious and nervous questions!!grin
I definitely like little white sleep suits on babies,nothing too bold or bright for me.

P.S how to you tag people in a reply that I write?they come up in bold on others that I read-how do I do that!?

P.P.S how do you look at a pic that someone adds into there reply? (I've seen on other threads) I want to look at the cute pictures too!sad

mumsnet newby obviouslyblush blush xx

lastnightiwenttomanderley Sun 10-May-15 07:33:13

No worries crafty! I'm a first timer too and it can be so overwhelming so I understand.

To bold put asterisks either side of their * name * - like that but without the spaces. You can't see pics if you're on the app unfortunately, is that the problem?

craftynanny Sun 10-May-15 09:29:42

Oh that's probably why yes, I'm on the app! thanks lastnight...xx

seaoflove Sun 10-May-15 10:45:33

Check the weights on the labels. 0-3 usually starts around 10lb so I wouldn't exclusively buy things in that size unless I was certain the baby was going to be much too big for newborn sized clothes!

Newborn varies a lot from shop to shop as well. I have newborn clothes that range from max 7.5lb to 9lb.

Definitely don't bother with early baby or tiny baby. If your baby does come early or is small you can send someone out to buy smaller sizes for you.

athousandsplendidsuns Sun 10-May-15 10:49:19

I would go for a few bits in whatever size says it fits 7-10lbs then shop online after the birth if you need more. M and s do next day click and collect which I used loads in the first few months for baby clothes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now