Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Ways to reveal baby's sex to family

(24 Posts)
OneLittleManOneInOven Sat 09-May-15 12:03:16

Hi I have my gender scan today and wondering if anyone has any special ideas to share the news with family smile

applecore0317 Sat 09-May-15 14:18:31

You could have a family meal and do a reveal cake for dessert, so white icing on the outside and when cut it is either blue or pink in the inside. Or something similar, the sex reveal type stuff is more of an american thing but they'll be loads of ideas on pinterest smile

youlemming Sat 09-May-15 14:20:15

A friend said it's quite common in the US to do a gender reveal cake, the inside sponge being pink or blue with white frosting on the outside

CaptainAnkles Sat 09-May-15 14:22:10

On 19 Kids and Counting, they had a piñata they took turns to whack, with blue or pink sweets inside it to tell everyone the sex.

WidowWadman Sat 09-May-15 14:25:28

Seriously? Just tell them. Cakes and puddings and that lark is really really naff.

Weebirdie Sat 09-May-15 14:29:32

Just say its a boy, or its a girl.

ShatnersBassoon Sat 09-May-15 14:30:36

I think my family would rather just be told too. Suspense and hackneyed gimmick would leave them hmm

WorraLiberty Sat 09-May-15 14:31:53

God, is a thing now?

It's a boy/it's a girl is all they need to know.

applecore0317 Sat 09-May-15 14:35:58

Just because its not something you would do, doesn't mean the OP has to be the same. Some people like to do something to reveal the sex. It's fine if you think it's tacky but no need to push that on the OP

ParkingFred Sat 09-May-15 14:39:18

Just tell them ffs.

Primaryteach87 Sat 09-May-15 14:41:31

Oh.you lot are a right lot of spoil sorts! Have fun OP and congratulations

OneLittleManOneInOven Sat 09-May-15 15:27:51

It's been done now ;) thanks for the ideas ladies but we tied a pink ribbon around my bump and revealed under my top flowers

Gillian1980 Sat 09-May-15 15:29:25

My friend did the cake thing - white icing and coloured sponge inside.

The sonographer wrote sex down and they put it in an envelope without looking. The baker did the cake and the parents-to-be found out at the same time as the family!

OneLittleManOneInOven Sat 09-May-15 15:52:09

That's brilliant Gillian!! And to those concerned if I wanted to 'just tell my family' I would have done so but we wanted to make an exciting thing of it and so that's why I asked for ideas smile

AccidentalAnarchist Sat 09-May-15 15:53:45

Why? Just why?!

SurlyCue Sat 09-May-15 15:58:31

Dear god!

PotteringAlong Sat 09-May-15 16:05:36

I just had the baby. That was quite exciting.

Weebirdie Sat 09-May-15 16:12:24

You know what Op? Bloody good on you. smile There's too much seriousness in the world and if you're happy then good on you, enjoy every minute of it.

Is this your first baby, and is your precious little bundle going to be a first grandchild?

batfish Sat 09-May-15 16:24:13

The ribbon idea is really cute, I don't know why people have to be so rude about something that someone is excited about - the world would be a boring place if we were all the same and if someone wants to come up with a fun way to announce something that is important to them then good on them, ever heard the saying 'if you haven't got something nice to say then don't say anything at all?'

Weebirdie Sat 09-May-15 16:28:54

I was a right misery puss earlier on and I apologise for that.

It really wasn't very nice and totally not in the spirit of things.

I'd be seriously unimpressed if someone had done it to my girls.

Jenni2legs Sat 09-May-15 16:29:29

Sounds like a really cute reveal.. oh and cake is NEVER naff! shock

OneLittleManOneInOven Sat 09-May-15 16:38:08

No offence taken wee birdie I don't think you were rude anyway maybe not enthusiastic but definately not rude! I have a little boy from a previous relationship and my partner has a little boy from a previous relationship, we all live together and to find out we have a little girl on the way has completed us, the reason we wanted to reveal in an exciting way is because we lost my dad last year under tragic circumstances and we just thought the family would appreciate some excitement about the new life we have created eeeek smile x

Weebirdie Sat 09-May-15 16:48:56

Whilst nothing will ever take away the pain of losing your dad be assured you'll find loads of ways to have him as part of your family life. My mums name meant Star and all of my grandchildren have gone home from hospital in outfits that have stars on them. When my children got married we scattered stars on the tables and the favors were shortbread stars I'd made and packed into little boxes that had a sprig of heather and tartan ribbon on them. And come Christmas our mince pies are star shaped, and when we put the star on top of the tree we are rather disrespectful and make all sorts of innuendo's.

You'll find ways to do things like this for your dad, and I wish you and your family all the love and joy in the world.

Deedeejanuary Sat 09-May-15 16:59:08

I saw someone do it by having a box that they opened that was filled with pink balloons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now