Talk

Advanced search

How much bedding do i need?

(8 Posts)
Nottalotta Sat 09-May-15 10:34:34

1st baby due in 12wks and I have NO IDEA of how much stuff we need. I have a Moses basket and a cot bed.

How many sheets for each?
Do you get waterproof ones?
What does a new baby sleep in/under? (in august....) I have a sleeping bag thing which says up to 6 months but get the feeling you wouldn't put a new baby in it to start?

Also, vests/body suit/baby grows etc. How many? Am not likely to have a small baby given family history (nothing less than 8lbs 3.....ever).

Thanks!

Christelle2207 Sat 09-May-15 11:04:37

Hi. Don't go overboard with stuff- any extra stuff we needed we got delivered after baby was born.
You need 2 maybe 3 sheets for moses basket. We also had 2 for the
carry cot and 2 for the cot bed which he started sleeping in at about 3 months. I used flanelette ones from JL. If you have a sicky baby you will need more but one "on" and one spare for us was ok. I also got waterproof sheets for the cot bed but not actually used them yet-
Reckon they're more useful when potty training. If you're worried about leaks you can get disposable waterproof mats to put under the sheets.
We used sleeping bags from when he went into cot bed at 3 months-
Before that just used cellular blankets as he needed to be changed quite a lot.
Vests and sleepsuits- you'll need at least 8 of each in size 0-3 months, maybe a couple of each in size up to one month so baby doesn't look too swamped when born- they grow quickly though! Also you will get given stuff. And in most cases you don't need a receipt to take it back and exchange for a bigger size.

WishUponAStar88 Sat 09-May-15 11:11:10

I had 4 moses basket sheets but only so because they doubled as pram sheets. I didn't get waterproof but lay a muslin over the sheet and would just change the muslin following dribble/ little vomits.

Depending on how big your baby is you might be able to use the sleeping bag but I just used cellular blankets in the crib.

I was also expecting a fairly big baby and so didn't buy any newborn things - went straight for 0-3. Dd was 9lb2 and the odd newborn thing other people bought us she'd outgrown in a couple of weeks. I had maybe 10 short sleeved bodysuits and sleepsuits.

Christelle2207 Sat 09-May-15 11:28:43

A yes a good tip about laying baby on a muslin which means you have to clean them much less often (sheets that is). I had about 10 muslins in total so make sure you have at least 6.

bonzo77 Sat 09-May-15 11:28:46

I would suggest waterproof mattress covers. Useful even in newborns due to sick and nappy fails. For the Moses basket you can use pillow cases instead of sheets. I'd say get around 4: saves you washing everything the second it gets dirty. Ditto for the cot. As your baby is due in high summer you probably won't need a sleeping bag initially. I'd get a couple of flat cot sheets (also useful for swaddling if you choose to). these can be cut up bed sheets. Then maybe a couple of blankets, one thin cotton and one either thin fleece or cellular. Remember if you fold them they found at 2 layers, this should be plenty. You may well get these as gifts: we got lots! I've got a thin Jersey blanket, a thin fleece one (it's a big from ikea that I cut into two). Also a cotton cellular blanket, a chenille one and a sort of towelling one. Only the fleece and jersey ones really got used after 2 babies.

I think they usually say that sleeping bags are only suitable once they are 10lb, or once their head is big enough not to slip down through the head hole.

Nottalotta Sat 09-May-15 14:24:03

Thanks for your responses. We have 4 moses basket sheets and two cot bed courtesy of mil. I will invest in some muslins. - good tip. Where's best for them?

Aquilla Sat 09-May-15 14:34:54

Ikea is good for muslins - nice and big ones with cool patterns. Cot sheets are expensive so I cut up big, flannelette ones. I also used them for swaddling for as long as I could get away with.

TropicalHorse Sat 09-May-15 14:49:27

My August baby slept in a nappy, vest and a flannelette swaddle. Get the midwives in the hospital to show you a couple of techniques (or YouTube) to work out what kind works for your kid. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now