Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Urgent help! Food poisoning abroad 14.5 weeks pregnant!

(19 Posts)
Focusfocus Sat 09-May-15 09:03:12

Keeping this short as I am Vomitting.

DH and I in Spain, quick getaway, all great. Had paella last night. Both of us vomited all night in turns till nothing except bitter bile was coming out. It was horrendous. All night puking, both of us. No diarrhea

This morning we both have stopped puking, no diarrhea till now or at all, and we both feel somewhat achey. Obviously tummy muscles are achey and squatting at the toilet muscles. And no sleep.

But I am petrified for baby. 14 weeks and 3 days pregnant. Hotel doctor will see us now, but please Mumsnetters tell me it's going to be okay? I feel sick literally, and with worry. Also tummy completely empty now so part of the sickness feeling is the kind you get when you are starving. Trying to drink plenty of bottled water.

Goldmandra Sat 09-May-15 09:05:37

I had food poisoning at 13 weeks with DD2. I was terrified but she was fine. The GP came out the next day just to reassure me that there was still a heartbeat.

DrankSangriaInThePark Sat 09-May-15 09:06:53

It's going to be OK.

Paella is notorious for potential tummy bugs even when not pg. (not useful to you now, I appreciate)

Get some Gatorade (flat foreign Lucozade) and sip that if you can, the doc might tell you to get some rehydration salts but I've never bothered, just sip an energy drink that has mineral salts in (like Gatorade) or full fat coke.

Rest and I'm sure by tonight you'll both be fine. flowers

Hophop987 Sat 09-May-15 09:36:11

It is going to be OK. Keep yourself hydrated and rest. I just had food poisoning couple weeks ago and my saviour was diarolyte (might have different name in Spain), so worth asking doctor about it. Baby is and will be fine,so don't worry flowers

SueV14 Sat 09-May-15 09:38:57

I had a food poisoning at around 12 weeks and was home alone whilst puking all night cause DH was away. I forced down a few glasses of tepid water to make vomiting easier and to wash out all the bad food out of my system. Then switched to sipping tiny amounts of water to stay hydrated. Was exhausted and achy for next 24h but perfectly fine afterwards. Now 28 weeks and baby is fine!

3littlefrogs Sat 09-May-15 09:41:18

You must have blood tested to see what the bug is in case you need antibiotics. Also they should test a stool sample. You may need to be admitted for rehydration.

addictedtosugar Sat 09-May-15 09:48:36

Try and keep hydrated. Small amounts of liquid or ice at a time. Flat coke if you can stomach it, or a fruit juice lolly. Baby will be fie. Well protected from any bugs in your tummy.

Hope your both feeling better soon thanks

addictedtosugar Sat 09-May-15 09:49:00

Baby will be fine, that should say

Focusfocus Sat 09-May-15 10:26:02

Thanks everyone had some plain coke. Puked it all out in one horrendous shoot of liquid, didn't even know I had all that liquid in me.

DH who is just as bad, has walked off out to find chemists to get the rehydration salts and bottles of water, as tap water can't be drunk here.

I in the meantime have of course googled still births, miscarriages and brain defects linked to campylobacter, ecoli, salmonella, listeria. I asked the doc who came if I need blood tests. He said, if you wish to get these it's your call, but I don't see any of the indications, temperature etc. He just advised no solids, only rehydration water all day for a day and to watch.

I literally don't care how I am feeling in my body, I am just so sad that baby is going through this.

MissTwister Sat 09-May-15 10:31:30

Don't worry baby isn't going through this. Its in a lovely warm protective sac probably pretty oblivious. You'll be fine xx

Focusfocus Sat 09-May-15 13:09:15

Thanks everyone

The puking has stopped and I've begun the rehydratation salts in water.

But we do feel achey in the back and legs and feverish. Not really a temperature but hot and achey. So so sooo hope all is okay.

TakesTwoToTango Sat 09-May-15 19:05:28

Focus, in all likelihood everything will be totally fine. Most food poisoning in pregnancy is horrific for the mum and does absolutely no harm at all to baby.

When do you come home? For your own peace of mind, I'd be tempted to get the stool tests and/or bloods done, either now on immediately on your return. That way you know for sure what bug you had and can, more than likely, breathe a big sigh of relief that it is not going to have had any impact on the baby.

I'm sorry your holiday has been spoilt. hmm

purplewoofer Sat 09-May-15 20:54:21

Not sure if it was food poisoning or just a bug but when I was about 8 weeks I was very ill. Stuff pouring out both ends. Called the midwife and they said they did not want me to come up (risk of passing it on) unless it is been more than 48 hours or there was blood. Thankfully stopped after 12 hours and just had 20 week scan and all seems fine.

MummyPiggy87 Sat 09-May-15 22:14:20

Sorry I can't offer any advice but I just wanted to wish you well x

bunny85 Sun 10-May-15 00:12:21

Wish you a quick recovery purple. Get well soon. I'm sure baby is fine.

bunny85 Sun 10-May-15 00:13:37

Sorry confused the nicknames (too late and half asleep!) Get well Focus was meant to say smile

Focusfocus Sun 10-May-15 06:42:02

Thanks everyone. Exactly 24 hours after it all began - I'm just normal?! Like nothing ever happened. It's bizarre. I literally feel spring fresh, and energetic and have a great appetite and well - it's literally like nothing was wrong! Same with DH. We both feel like we had a pukey nightmare and we slept on it and voila.....the sun is shining!

Christelle2207 Sun 10-May-15 07:36:33

It's going to be fine. I had similar at 20 something weeks. Your immune system would have prioritised your baby's health over yours. Doesn't sound like it was anything serious just very unpleasant as your body fought to get rid of it whatever it was -with success. Go easy on what you eat these next few days.

minijoeyjojo Sun 10-May-15 09:12:52

So glad you're feeling better. Try not to worry about your baby - other than the extremely, extremely rare listeriosis (I'm talking 200 cases per year in the UK) food bugs don't hurt your baby at all thankfully!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now