Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Four Soft Markers found on anomaly scan - anyone experienced this?

(34 Posts)
puzzle Tue 07-Nov-06 20:48:13

Four soft markers were found on my 21 week anomaly scan - Hyperechogenic bowel, Echogenic foci in heart, Chorus plexys cysts on brain, Pelvic dilatation (enlarged kidneys).
I am only 24 and this altered my risk of trisomies to 1 in 200, and risk of Cystic Fibrosis also very high.
We opted to have an amnio which has come back clear on everything. But am still going out of my mind with worry that something must be seriously wrong. I have tried to be research on google and mumsnet to find out if anyone with so many soft markers has gone on to a healthy baby but cant find any examples, all I can find is that having at least one come up is incredibly rare.
I am 23 weeks pregnant now and this has totally transformed the way I view the pregnancy. If everything works out I will be a nervous wreck by the time the baby is born.
If anyone has any experiences similar to this I would reaaly appreciate hearing them. X

morningpaper Tue 07-Nov-06 20:50:43

We had two soft markers - pelvic dilation and excess amniotic fluid

We had lots of scans but went on to have a completely healthy baby with no problems

Have you had any more scans since the 21 week scan?

FromGirders Tue 07-Nov-06 20:51:03

Just wanted to send ((((hugs))))).
Sure someone more experienced who can reassure you will be along soon.

FromGirders Tue 07-Nov-06 20:52:11

Oops, cross posted, didn't mean to disregard mp! .
More hugs.

Megglevache Tue 07-Nov-06 20:56:31

Message withdrawn

lulumama Tue 07-Nov-06 21:02:05

not personally but a friend had the cysts on the brain, and the heart one too.....she had an amnio, which was clear...and then a further scan ..all was clear and had a healthy baby gir....

are you going to be having another scan.......if the amnio is clear then surely that is a good sign.....? can you speak with the consultant about this?

lulumama Tue 07-Nov-06 21:02:10

not personally but a friend had the cysts on the brain, and the heart one too.....she had an amnio, which was clear...and then a further scan ..all was clear and had a healthy baby gir....

are you going to be having another scan.......if the amnio is clear then surely that is a good sign.....? can you speak with the consultant about this?

lulumama Tue 07-Nov-06 21:02:20

lulumama Tue 07-Nov-06 21:02:31

sorry..posted twice...

puzzle Tue 07-Nov-06 21:03:51

In addition to 21 wk scan had another scan with consultant the next day who performed amnio. She found exactly the same markers although slightly queried some measurements.
She said that all being well on amnio to be rescanned by her a month later!!! I cant wait that long. After a lot of persuasion I managed to get another appt for scan with her on Thurs but midwife who gave me amnio results has tried to talk me out of it by saying that nothing will change that quickly and it will just worry me more.

puzzle Tue 07-Nov-06 21:05:04

That is this Thurs the 9th Nov

lulumama Tue 07-Nov-06 21:06:41

if nothing much has changed..will that make you feel beetter or worse though,,,,,and if the amnio is clear is that not more conclusive than the scan....?

((hugs)) for you ...must be a terrible worry...you just want everything to be ok NOW!!

morningpaper Tue 07-Nov-06 21:07:32

Are the measurements A LOT out, or just slightly out?

NAB3 Tue 07-Nov-06 21:09:21

We had two markers which suggested Edward's syndrome.

Cysts on the brain are quite common.

Single things don't necessarily mean there will be a problem, it just means it might.

ring the ante natal results helplins. They were really lovely when I rang and had lots of good advice.

puzzle Tue 07-Nov-06 21:15:20

I just want the scan so I can know as much and be as prepared and informed as possible - its the not knowing that is the problem.
Measurements were very slightly out, first scan made things look a little worse but consultant said that could be caused by baby changing position.
I will look up antenatal results helpline, I still feel I dont have enough information and hopefully they can explain things to me alittle better.

lulumama Tue 07-Nov-06 21:19:59

let us know how you get on on thursday......

puzzle Tue 07-Nov-06 21:21:54

Sure thing.

eidsvold Wed 08-Nov-06 02:46:58

echogenic focii in the heart are very very common - I had them detected with dd2 and was told by the sonographer that while it increased my chance of having a child with down syndrome - they are finding so many things like this increasingly common due to the technology and in fact went out of her way to reassure us that these spots would most likely be gone by the time dd2 was born.

Dd1 - hard marker for down syndrome - heart defect detected at 20 weeks - cardiologist told us that basically with this heart defect she would be a very rare child if she was not also born with down syndrome. We did not go on and have an amnio as it would not make a difference to us. FWIW when they did the anomaly scan - had a few of them - they detected no other marker for down syndome but the heart defect.

Even having different scanning machines can make a difference in the things they detect - our local hospital declared dd1 had a very different heart defect that was more serious in terms of long term prognosis than the one that was actually detected. When scanned by the ob/gyn consultant at Kings after a fetal cardiac scan - they could clearly see what sort of heart defect it was.

Diege Wed 08-Nov-06 09:28:31

Hi . I had 3 soft markers with dd1 (echogenic foci in heart, dilated renal pelves, talipes) also 'positive' triple test, and suspected growth retardation at 33 weeks. All-in-all an extremely worrying pregnancy that tipped me into mild depression. Had amnio, but had culture failure so was none the wiser! DD1 was born perfectly healthy, 5 days early, with NO talipes, no heart problems, average weight/measurements. She did have dilated kidneys, but no problems after a year (was put on antibiotics to minimise urine infection effects). The dilated kidney thing is soooo common (dds 2&3 also had it ) and my midwife sister says their hospital doesn't bother reporting it anymore (or the choroid plexus cysts) as they are now considered normal variations of development in most babies).
If I had had a normal amnio result I would have been over the moon. It's the gold standard as (as you know) the others are just 'markers' that are seen in plenty of children with 'normal' phenotypes). I know it's hard, but take solace in your amnio result, and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy. I deeply regret the way I feel I 'wasted' mine through worry!
Oh and the antenatal results and choices people are BRILLIANT!! Give them a call
Sorry for the rant, hope it's helped a bit!

puzzle Thu 09-Nov-06 17:51:38

Just got back from hospital appt...
I was told that it was to soon to have another scan and that nothing will have changed in so short a time.
Saw midwife who reassured me that all tests had come back negative and that I should feel alot happier.
Saw doctor who told me that it is very likely that baby is completely normal and I should stop worrying.
Oh, but I do love to worry!

lulumama Thu 09-Nov-06 19:57:05

you sound a bit more encouraged puzzle...what is the plan now? carry on with standard ante natal care or more scans and things?

puzzle Fri 10-Nov-06 18:25:04

Well I get the impression that I will have extra scans (one in a few weeks), to monitor situation or until nothing abnormal shows up (fingers crossed!) x

lulumama Fri 10-Nov-06 18:29:25

well.. keep us posted and try to focus on the positive......xxx

puzzle Fri 10-Nov-06 18:30:49

Sure, thanks for the support.

lulumama Fri 10-Nov-06 18:31:46

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now