Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Amniosure - can it be wrong?

(5 Posts)
nailsathome Thu 07-May-15 16:14:08

I'm 37 weeks pregnant with my second baby. Yesterday afternoon I'm pretty sure my waters broke. I was sitting on my bed and felt a gush which left a wet patch around the size of an A5 piece of paper and took 5 hrs to dry out of the mattress.

I had been having on off contractions for a couple of days.

I called the hospital who said see how it goes, 24 hrs to go into labour etc. By 8pm, nothing really happening except mild contractions. Called again and they said come in. They did an amniosure swab which was negative so I came home. The problem is that after that initial gush I didn't lose any more so there wouldn't have been anything there to test.

I'm just really worried about it. There was too much liquid for it to be discharge and I'm 90% certain it wasn't urine. I'm mildly contracting again now. Am I being silly to worry? Do I just accept that the test was negative and that's that? I'm a scientist so am annoying myself with this!

nailsathome Thu 07-May-15 20:44:23

Can anyone help?

seaoflove Thu 07-May-15 20:46:48

I totally understand why you're bothered. I'm sure the swab isn't failsafe - I guess it depends whether there was any fluid in the vagina to detect and where exactly the midwife swabbed you.

Has there been any more fluid lost?

Just go back if you're worried. Infection is obviously a concern if your membranes really have ruptured.

AbByG25 Thu 07-May-15 21:48:18

This happened to me at 26 weeks. I went into hospital as was told I was in labour then the contractions started to slow down the following day they said that the membrane could had had a tiny pin kick if a hole that has sealed back up.

If your worried just go back to hospital they will be able to help more

nailsathome Thu 07-May-15 21:56:34

Thank you for your replies. I'm going to call them in the morning after I've dropped dd at nursery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now