We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can you get pregnant while bf?

(37 Posts)
Rpgp1223 Thu 07-May-15 03:06:48

My daughters 3 months old. I bf her on demand and people told me I most likely couldn't get pregnant. I had my first period when she was 7 weeks old and since then I haven't had one but now I'm spotting and getting cramps. The same first symptoms I had when I was pregnant with my daughter. Now I'm hearing that it's not that hard to get pregnant while bf. Has anyone gotten pregnant as early as 3 months after giving birth and just bf? Is it even possible?

Rpgp1223 Thu 07-May-15 03:08:37

My daughters 3 months old. I bf her on demand and people told me I most likely couldn't get pregnant. I had my first period when she was 7 weeks old and since then I haven't had one but now I'm spotting and getting cramps. The same first symptoms I had when I was pregnant with my daughter. Now I'm hearing that it's not that hard to get pregnant while bf. Has anyone gotten pregnant as early as 3 months after giving birth and just bf? Is it even possible?

ZacharyQuack Thu 07-May-15 03:30:32

It's absolutely possible. If you don't want to risk pregnancy, use contraception.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 07-May-15 03:31:00

I got pg whilst bfing, but my baby was much older. It is possible to get og with a baby so young but I've always thought that your chances were about the same as if you were on the mini pill.

Anyway, there's some good info here smile

PenguinPoser Thu 07-May-15 03:34:17

Hasn't happened to me but yes it's definitely possible. You need to do a pregnancy test to check. If it's negative then if you aren't planning another pregnancy maybe see your GP for contraception that is safe when breastfeeding.

sarkymare Thu 07-May-15 03:38:41

Yes of course it's possible. BF isn't a form of contraception! It can take a while for you to start ovulating again whilst BF though which can make it harder to conceive BUT You received your 'first' period which shows you probably ovulated two weeks prior to that.

I think your next step now is POAS!

sarkymare Thu 07-May-15 03:49:44

Sorry just read that you're spotting, could this be the start of AF? I would give it a few days and see what happens with the bleeding.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Thu 07-May-15 03:52:15

Definitely possible. Best POAS.

newbian Thu 07-May-15 04:14:30

Absolutely. For some women they develop amenorrhea (lack of period) while breastfeeding but not for all.

This link explains that if you have had a period since giving birth, then BF is not contraceptive for you and you need another method: www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/birth-control/breastfeeding

Since you had one at seven weeks, then you are likely ovulating as well and you need to take a test and/or get a different form of contraception. And ask a doctor or nurse next time, not just your friends or family, about what is effective!

icklekid Thu 07-May-15 04:22:26

Yes very possible I was told before leaving hospital and by midwives and health visitors soon after about the need for contraception. Thought this was common practice now? hope you are ok OP

madwomanbackintheattic Thu 07-May-15 05:06:48

Yes, of course you can.
I know one poor woman who was pg within 6 weeks because she thought otherwise. And she didn't have a period - pg before that happened lol.

Jenny70 Thu 07-May-15 05:40:12

Definitely possible, but not common... my SIL had two babies within the year, so conceived about the 3 month mark. I think a pg test works OK, the pg hormone shouldn't be messed by breastfeeding hormones... so to reassure yourself do a test maybe.

jigglywiggly Thu 07-May-15 05:43:06

BF can only work as a contraception providing you meet certain 'criteria', one of them being that your periods have not returned. Yours obviously have so therefore EBF can't act as a contraception for you. Time to POAS!

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Thu 07-May-15 05:47:01

Have you been relying on it an contraception without asking this basic question beforehand?

ThumbWitchesAbroad Thu 07-May-15 06:36:06

jiggly you might want to read madwoman's post and rethink your position on that! grin

Jackieharris Thu 07-May-15 06:38:28

Yes.

Your periods started back and you didn't use contraception even though you weren't ttc?!!!

Maybe you should look up "Irish twins" good luck!

scaevola Thu 07-May-15 06:40:14

There are both WHO and NHS criteria on when lactational amenhorrhea works as a contraceptive.

jiggly is correct about criteria.

The important ones are: no period, baby under 6 months, baby exclusively breastfed, round the clock, fed frequently, no feeds missed.

All contraception can fail.

jigglywiggly Thu 07-May-15 07:02:53

Thanks scaevola I'm on my phone so couldn't link. Thumb* it's not my position, it's the WHOs and NHS etc ! smile

LostMySocks Thu 07-May-15 09:03:10

I BF and got pregnant when DS was 10 months. My periods hadn't started. Unfortunately ended as a MMC but that wasn't to do with BF

LostMySocks Thu 07-May-15 09:03:45

One symptom that I had was hellish pain when DS was feeding.

YouMakeMyHeartSmile Thu 07-May-15 09:14:36

If you're having periods then you're ovulating, which means that yes, of course you can get pregnant:

boatrace30 Thu 07-May-15 10:10:28

And remember that you have to ovulate before you have a period, so therefore if you get pregnant on first ovulation, you won't get a period at all!!

Artandco Thu 07-May-15 10:14:34

Yep, ds1 was exclusively breastfed and ds2 was conceived around 6 months after ds1 was born. For us we were planning a small gap though and was hoping to have 2nd baby within 18 months of the first which we did, I had stopped feeding during the night though as read this helped conceiving. Ds1 was fed around 11pm, then not again until 8/9am

Mrscog Thu 07-May-15 10:29:57

If your period has returned then yes of course you can get pregnant!!

Forgetmenotblue Thu 07-May-15 10:37:02

I was EBF and no periods AND on the mini pill when I got pregnant. It was an ectopic and I had no idea I was pregnant...thought I'd pulled a muscle lifting the bab.

Ended up quite poorly in hospital.

Use contraception! And a good 'un.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now