Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

IT band syndrome

(13 Posts)
gingerbreadmam Wed 06-May-15 06:31:19

hi

was just wondering if anyone has ever been diagnosed with this in pregnancy?

i haven't but a quick google of what i am feeling has brought that up. i am 16 weeks today and this has probably been going on sonce about 12 weeks.

basically in the night after laying on one side for a length of time i get a pain from my hip to close to my knee its not severe but it aches and wakes me up. i then over and it still aches for about a minute then goes off until ive been laid for too long on that side and then it starts again.

i mentioned it at my 16wk check but midwife said its just muscles relaxing.

if anyone has it and any tips to share i would appreciate them. thank you.

applecore0317 Wed 06-May-15 07:05:14

The hip pain is usually one of those lovely pregnancy things.

I usually sleep with a cushion between my knees, and sometimes on my back but slightly upright. I also have a wedge pillow under my bump.

Whatabout Wed 06-May-15 07:08:00

I have it anyway, the best release for mine is rubbing it with a tennis ball!

gingerbreadmam Wed 06-May-15 07:15:22

thanks. i do need to try the pillow trick i just feel a bit silly as 16wks seems so early, altho i do have a huge bump i guess!

ahhh a tennis ball, so do you do that as a preventitive measure or when it happens? can just picture rubbing my legs down with tennis balls x times a night grin

Floppityflop Wed 06-May-15 07:27:40

Foam roller?

gingerbreadmam Wed 06-May-15 07:48:32

cheers floppy when it happens or once a day or something?

knittingirl Wed 06-May-15 16:21:36

I sleep with a pillow between my knees as well which helps loads. As I got bigger last pregnancy I added a second pillow between my legs so that the pillows went the whole length of my legs if that makes sense, and a pillow under my bump. It made turning over in bed fun, but definitely eased up the hip pain!

gingerbreadmam Wed 06-May-15 16:46:10

thanks knittin will give that a try tonite!

MissTwister Wed 06-May-15 16:48:39

I have this issue but have never heard the name for it. It's very annoying and cuts my sleep dramatically!

gingerbreadmam Wed 06-May-15 16:58:04

i was googling away this morning as the midwife showed no concern whatsoever and tbh i was getting a bit paranoid it was spd. fortunately sounds nothing like spd and a lot like this so this is what im going with.

have you tried pillows between legs? sounds like a good tip!

Floppityflop Wed 06-May-15 19:59:00

I'm not sure. You should check with a physio but cyclists use foam rollers to help prevent ITB probs.

gingerbreadmam Wed 06-May-15 20:02:17

thanks floppy will look into it.

gingerbreadmam Thu 07-May-15 06:48:30

well stuck the pillow between legs lastnight and probably improved things 50% so thank you so much for the suggestions feel like ive had a great nights sleep. thanks thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now