Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Advice regarding vitamin a

(9 Posts)
laurenlhthompson Tue 05-May-15 18:08:10

I wondered if anyone can help regarding vitamin a.

I've been eating lots of spinach and cereals that are high in iron as I was told I have iron deficient anaemia at my booking appointment.

I've just noticed the spinach and cereals I've been eating say 'high in vitamin a' and I'm panicking now I've ate too much and caused damage.

I'm 15+3 so I'm not sure if it's too late if I have.

myhandsarekillingme Tue 05-May-15 18:09:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

myhandsarekillingme Tue 05-May-15 18:21:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Skiptonlass Tue 05-May-15 18:30:02

Plant sources are absolutely fine O McFine smile scoff as much spinach as you like.
Cut back on the cereal a bit though you're unlikely to have overdone it on them. You would have to eat cereal morning noon and night to get anywhere near too much.
The main culprits for bad things that happen with vit a are sources like liver, or artificial sources of retinoic acid like roaccutane or skin treatments.

laurenlhthompson Tue 05-May-15 18:48:32

Thank you all for your advice you've made me feel a lot better.

Also skiptonlass that is really useful to know. I only eat the cereal once a day but I will stop that.

Comes to something when I'm stressing about a spinach overdose! I've changed!!

dementedpixie Tue 05-May-15 19:00:13

check which type is in the cereal as it may be plant based rather than animal based. plant based is fine whereas you should avoid too much animal based vitamin a

Skiptonlass Tue 05-May-15 19:07:02

Oh gosh once a day? No, keep eating it! I thought you meant bowls and bowls of it. One bowl a day, not even slightly an issue smile

geekymommy Tue 05-May-15 19:11:33

It's preformed vitamin A, which generally comes from animal sources, that you have to worry about. Spinach doesn't have that form of vitamin A. It has carotenoids, which are safe during pregnancy. I doubt very much that cereals have that much, unless you're eating cereal with liver in it (yuck!) or something like that. (If you do say you have cereal with liver in it, it will confirm every stereotype I have of British food. I will also expect you to come here and hold my hair back while I vomit.)

Skiptonlass Tue 05-May-15 19:15:13

liver cereal? Oh geekymommy, that's just...offal

(Tee hee... Been eating to use that pun for ages! )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now