Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

which folic acid

(10 Posts)
feerouge Mon 04-May-15 12:21:41

Hello!

We are thinking of starting TTC in August so tic toc next week i should start taking some folic acid smile

I was going to buy folic acid + vitamin d from boots, and i wondered if any of you have tried it, if you prefer other brands, or if you went for the conception pills which have a lot more in them (i've read it made many people sick though).

Is it ok to start it on my own or is it something the gp should advise me on after doing some tests?

Hope everyone is having a great bank holiday weekend!!

applecore0317 Mon 04-May-15 12:50:53

All folic acid is pretty much the same, the one with vitamin D is good as the extra Vitamim D is great in pregnancy. I took that as pregnacare made me sick in the first trimester.

anyagujraal Mon 04-May-15 14:21:57

You can buy folic acid supplements or a prenatal or regular multivitamin but make sure that the label contain 400 mcg of folic acid. My gp has suggested me to take this, it helps in avoiding birth defects too.

Galvanized Mon 04-May-15 14:31:34

I use folic acid + vitamin d from boots, recommend it. I'd take it even if not preg/TTC as both are good to have. Start now.

guinnessgirl Mon 04-May-15 14:53:10

I was taking Boots own brand pregnancy multivitamin as soon as we started ttc. It just depends how much else you want to take in addition to the folic acid! I'd expect that one brand would be the same as any other in terms of quality smile

feerouge Tue 05-May-15 07:05:31

Thank you i'll get the folic acid + vitamin d and start this week smile xx

Dianeleeds Thu 07-May-15 08:15:07

Hello. for a couple of months pre conception and now through pregnancy I have taken Tesco pregnancy vitamins. They have the recommended 400micro grams of folic acid in and loads of other good stuff. they can be taken pre conception and during g pregnancy. they cost £3 for 30 and are often on 3 for 2 so I stock up!

I compared them to other more expensive leading brands and they had same ingredients in. They also make them with added omega 3 in which are £7 a box, but you can buy omega 3 separately cheaper and I read somewhere that when pregnancy you need to be careful with the amount of omega 3 you consume- I eat oily fish 3 times per week so did not bother!

Good luck smile grin

feerouge Sat 09-May-15 11:07:18

Thank you! I've bought one Seven Seas "trying for a baby" box, as someone else on this forum said it's best to just buy one and try and see if it doesn't make you sick haha smile

feerouge Wed 27-May-15 19:23:47

Just reporting that i've taken it for three weeks now and i've not felt sick apart from one morning when i was hungry but after i ate a bit it felt better! Really happy so will buy two other boxes at Boots I hope they are still on offer...

Cheshirehello79 Wed 27-May-15 23:35:19

I took super drug pregnancy care - they are cheap and has everything . Add ovulation app on your phone too that will help you track things- good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now