Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Placenta Previa

(19 Posts)
New30 Mon 04-May-15 11:49:51

Just after some help really. If anyone had this were they put on bed rest? If so from how many weeks and was it after a bleed? If not on bed rest were you still at work etc normally?
Thanks in advance. Google isn't helping!

MissTwister Mon 04-May-15 15:08:49

Hi

I have a low lying placenta with a rescan needed at 32 weeks so have done a bit of research into this on here. It seems there are varying outcomes - some sail through to a C section at 38/9 weeks and some need bed rest, usually after a bleed.

Do you know what stage you have?

New30 Mon 04-May-15 15:19:02

Hi miss twister thanks for responding.
I'm just 20 weeks and have a consultant appointment on Thursday.
I don't know what stage, just 'posterior placenta covering os'
It hasn't cqused any bleeding as yet.
The whole pregnancy thing is really giving me a hard time, no one tells you it Is so hard! Just curious as to what may be said. Very impatient!

MissTwister Mon 04-May-15 16:57:44

It seems to really vary unfortunately. Bed rest would not normally be until about 37 weeks though i believe. Good luck at your appointment

Fairylea Mon 04-May-15 17:04:57

My experience is very unusual but when I had my elective section due to a previous traumatic birth (non placenta related) they were really surprised to find I had total placenta previa. I had no symptoms at all, no bleeding at all, no pain and I felt fantastic. I was doing gardening and having sex right until I went in for the section at 38 weeks.... !

I lost nearly 3 litres of blood and had two blood transfusions but a lot of that is that they had no idea I had placenta previa at all and weren't prepared - if they know I'm sure things would have been much easier. Even with the difficulties I had my c section was 100 times better than my vaginal birth with dd.

They are very good at managing pp if they know about it early enough. .

Didiusfalco Mon 04-May-15 17:10:49

I had posterior placenta praevia too. Had two bleeds, one very heavy. Stayed in hospital for a few days both times but wasn't put on bed rest. From what I can tell opinion varies. My consultant said there was nothing you could do that either stopped it happening or made it happen, I do live close to a large hospital with a neonatal unit though which I think helped. Amazingly placenta had moved by 32 weeks, so there is still plenty of time.

MissTwister Mon 04-May-15 17:24:05

Didiusfalco interesting that you had bleeds and then it moved. My doctor gave me the impression that it only really bled if it was total praevia that wouldn't budge. I have posterior too. When were your bleeds?

Swifey Mon 04-May-15 17:38:27

Hi there I am currently 36+1, and was sent home from hospital last week, as I had another scan to check my placenta previa totally covering the os, and to everyone's surprise it had moved!! �� I had been told that there was no way it would move and I was in bed rest in hospital from 32 weeks even though I had no bleeds at all. So it can happen!! It was amazing when it had moved, and so now I am home and c section is cancelled, and I sm just waiting like a normal (if you know what I mean wink) person waiting for labour to start!

AbbeyRoadCrossing Mon 04-May-15 19:11:36

I had bleeds at 11 and 19 weeks,, mine was near but not total praevia. At the 32 week scan they thought it would be fine for vaginal birth as I had 2cm clearance. Massive bleed at 35 weeks and bed rest, until 36 when the bleed was so big I had to deliver by emcs. It's a very unpredictable condition and they said mine was 1 in 200 as it moved back down after being up!
I think bed rest is usually after a large bleed but that might just have been my hospital s policy

AbbeyRoadCrossing Mon 04-May-15 19:18:37

I was at work normally until I had my baby...wish I'd got on maternity leave earlier on reflection but never mind. Luckily I had the bleed at home and not in the office (it was 2 litres in a very short time, I don't think they'd have coped!). I had a sticker on my notes with instructions to call 999 and say what I had and those that sat near me knew about that though.

New30 Mon 04-May-15 19:37:51

That counts scary. I suppose knowing you have it prepares you a little for bleeds!

Summerdaydreams Mon 04-May-15 19:48:53

Hello, my last pregnancy I had total placenta previa (anterior), I started bleeding Early on.
I was told no sex, nothing strenuous, no heavy lifting, hoovering and to rest as much as possible. I got signed off work. no questions asked. Sick leave was pregnancy related so never got held against me.

There does seem to be mixed messages. And some with pp ( like me will have heavy bleeds) and others nothing at all or if they do it is very late into the pregnancy.

Personally, after my bleeds I wish I had have gone on total bed rest but it was Impossible with a toddler and no family around.

Whatabout Mon 04-May-15 20:36:18

What happened after your 29 week scan? Sonogram showed mine was very low and I need a rescan but nothing else said.

Whatabout Mon 04-May-15 20:36:34

iwantkhaleesiseyebrows Tue 05-May-15 11:00:09

OP I scared myself senseless having googled pp after being diagnosed with 'posterior placenta partially covering cervix' at 20 week scan . I had a scan at 26 weeks and it hadn't moved. My scan at 32 weeks showed it is no longer low lying and more than 3cm away. Apparently a lot of movement of uterus happens between 28-32 weeks even though I was told it was unlikely to move.

I had no bleeding at all but took lots of precautions - no sex, no lifting heavy stuff (including my 3yo DD), no exercise. Try to stay off google and take sensible precautions. Most placentas do move and google is full of the worst case scenarios. I feel like all the googling put a very negative spin on the first 32 weeks of my pregnancy.

MissTwister Tue 05-May-15 14:00:29

In my case the consultant told me there were no restrictions on exercise, lifting, sex etc. It seems to vary a lot!

I've stopped thinking about it to be honest. Am 28 weeks and have another scan at 32

Amber76 Tue 05-May-15 14:52:40

I had full placenta praevia - to the front as I remember being told they would cut through placenta in section.

I was told about it at 20 week scan and told to take things easy. I had my first bleed at week 29 - reasonably light but they kept me in for a week. I was sent home and had another light bleed about a week later. I was then admitted on bed rest from week 31 for the rest of the pregnancy.

I had 2 heavy bleeds in hospital and I'm so glad they happened in there as opposed to at home. It's a sudden painless heavy bleed which must be very scary if you are nowhere near hospital. Both times they just monitored me and it stopped itself. I was given steroids on week 29 in case of an early delivery.

Section went fine but I lost about 2 litres of blood. Have had 2 more babies since with no problems.

Moondancer146 Tue 05-May-15 17:36:24

I only had partial praevia but had bleeds at 11, 17, 18, 25, 32 and 35 weeks so had various stays in hospital and was put on pelvic rest - no sex, no lifting, no stretching or bending. Because of the work I do this meant going off sick but I was never told to have complete bed rest. They also gave me steroid shots at 28 weeks just in case. They were going to deliver at 35 weeks after my last bleed but I begged for one more scan and when they checked at 36 weeks it had moved just enough for them to let me try a natural birth. I still ended up with a EMCS but that was unrelated to the placenta. It was pretty scary at the time but the doctors and midwives were amazing with me and on the bright side I got lots of extra scans to see baby

New30 Tue 05-May-15 17:47:39

Seems with everything pregnancy related everyone is differant and there are no rules!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now