Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What Mattress to go for?? Help!!

(12 Posts)
MumToBe2015R Mon 04-May-15 08:20:28

There's so many mattresses I just can't decide on what to go for. First baby so not sure what is right & wrong when it comes to this. Buying most items from Mothercare so just been looking at there range really.

Any advice/help would be very much appreciated!! Will of course consider from other stores to doesn't have to only be mothercare. Just has to be the right one for bubba.

Put this post in products before, but didn't have any replies, reason for posting in here now

Bumpandbaby2014 Mon 04-May-15 21:45:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KatyN Tue 05-May-15 07:47:34

I wanted to buy the most expensive one but the lady in John Lewis said I should buy a cheaper one!!! We had a cot, so he was in it for under 3 years. She said that is so small a time to lie on a mattress there was no need to buy an all singing all dancing sprung one. I think it was about 40 squids.
He's now in a toddler bed that we inherited and that does have a sprung mattress. I don't think he can tell the difference. It also makes it more difficult when we go away (we take his mattress to sleep on the floor) as it doesn't bend.

FWIW he was under physio care until he was 2 and his mattress was never mentioned (that wasn't the cause of the physio.. that was birth related, but the physio never suggested I get his a specific mattress to support him).

k

Purpleball Tue 05-May-15 07:49:49

I was planning to get the cheapest one with a removable cover as I figured it could get ruined and I'd have to replace the whole mattress rather than wash the cover

Nottalotta Tue 05-May-15 08:48:39

I was going to post this too. We have john Lewis vouchers so are getting Moses basket and cot bed mattresses from there. My sister gave me the cot bed. The prices range from �30 - �450!!!!

There don't seem to be any memory foam ones either.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 05-May-15 08:56:16

If a cot - a simple foam one. If a cotbed - a simple sprung one. Cotbeds last til 5/6 so its good to have a mattress that will last that long too.

EggsAreNotFromCows Tue 05-May-15 09:09:17

Cots and cribs, just a sponge one. Loads of places online, think we used the cot mattress company.
Cotbeds there is more choice. Ours has a mattress which is sort of filled like a futon mattress, quite firm.

Memory foam is not suitable for babies. I think because the dints formed can collect carbon dioxide which babies rebreathe. Maybe also too hot?

happygojo Tue 05-May-15 09:37:30

I am personally going for foam. It doesn't have the longevity of a sprung mattress but still about 5-6 years. Seeing as you are advised to get a new mattress for each baby and they are likely to be in a big bed after a few years anyway. I don't personally see the point.

Foam is a little bit warmer than sprung but not much.

Memory foam isn't suitable for babies for many reasons but mainly as they can overheat I think.

My parents make foam mattresses so I am a bit biased.... I also get them free smile

Nottalotta Tue 05-May-15 10:30:12

Thanks for the info on memory foam - there were some memory foam Moses basket mattresses in kiddicare I'm sure!

Number3cometome Tue 05-May-15 10:34:55

I got an Obaby one from Asda in the baby event for £40, it is lovely, really thick and decent material. Looks just like the most expensive one from MotherCare.

EggsAreNotFromCows Tue 05-May-15 13:55:54

I don't know about kiddicare, but some mainstream retailers do continue to sell stuff that is very much against SIDS guidelines. Like cot bumpers. It baffles me how they can pretend they are experts when they do this.

Number3cometome Tue 05-May-15 14:39:31

Eggs

Had a bit of a to do with OH in Ikea on Sunday because they had cot bumpers which he liked and I insisted they are not safe.

He said well they sell them so they must be fine.

I said they should be banned!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now