Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Blue hands in first trimester - anyone else had really bad circulation problems?

(9 Posts)
Bristolian1 Sun 03-May-15 09:29:03

Morning ladies,

Just wondering if anyone can help. I'm 7+1 with much longed for dc1, after 2 miscarriages last year. This pregnancy I'm having problems with my circulation - really cold extremities to the point where my fingers are white and my nails go blue. Is this normal? Is it a pregnancy symptom? Has anyone had anything similar? It's so weird hmm

hestialou Sun 03-May-15 09:56:07

Hello Bristol, I had mc last year so understand how everything is worrying. But don't stress, i have this too, started about 5 weeks and still have occasional days at 20 weeks. Good luck xx

AbbeyRoadCrossing Sun 03-May-15 12:45:08

Do you have Raynaud's? I do and mine changes during pregnancy, ask your doctor though

Bristolian1 Sun 03-May-15 15:30:38

What's Reynauds AbbeyRoad?

Bristolian1 Sun 03-May-15 15:31:03

And thanks both for the reassurance!

AbbeyRoadCrossing Sun 03-May-15 21:53:31

Its a circulation disorder where your hands, toes go very cold and funny colours sometimes, and sometimes painful. Mine was always bad in the winter. Bizarrely it was worse last pregnancy but seems better with my second so far!

MayfairMummy Mon 04-May-15 11:20:16

Brustolian, with your history of miscarriage, and these cold hands, I would seriously suggest talking to your gp / obs about antiphospholipid syndrome (aps) / renauld's. Treatment starts as simple as a baby aspirin daily, and may help against miscarriage. Worth doing your research online so you know what you're talking about and don't just get fobbed off if gp doesn't have experience.

Bristolian1 Mon 04-May-15 17:05:58

Thanks Abbey. Mayfair I have already consulted doctor Google and come to the same conclusion! Think it's going to be hard to convince the GP there's anything in it though!

MayfairMummy Tue 05-May-15 10:33:44

Bristolian, a lot of doctors will just say take a 75mg aspirin a day, just in case, which in cases of APS is hugely effective. There is recent research to suggest however that if you don't have APS, there is a very slight increase in miscarriage rates if you take aspirin on a 'just in case'. I can't remember numbers, but I think the original research is on one of the UK miscarriage sites (it's been a while since i found it). I personally would go in to see your GP, as prepared as you can. My GP is known to look up things on the internet when i ask questions; if you know the questions to ask, you may find you get a better outcome.

Best of luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now