We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

painful hips= no sleep

(10 Posts)
messyjessy7 Sun 03-May-15 07:05:13

I'm 20 weeks and suffering with the most painful hips. On the left its like an ache but the other feels like a trapped nerve. If I bend a certain way it's horrendous. Sleeping/ laying down is becoming an issue as I can't lay on my front in. Fear of squashing my now rather large bump.
Anyone had a similar experience or have any advice on what could help?
Thanks in advance.

makeminea6x Sun 03-May-15 07:09:58

Should definitely see your GP for further assessment and consideration of physiotherapy referral.

In the meantime are you already taking regular paracetamol?

PlasticCircus Sun 03-May-15 07:10:01

I had this with my first pregnancy all the way through to birth and I'm just waiting for it to kick in now- you have my sympathies as it's horrible!

A couple of things helped me. First, lots of cushions or a long body cushion between my legs and under my bump so that I could lie sort of on my side with my bump cushioned. This seemed to help a lot but was a pain when I needed to go to the loo all the time!

I also started doing some light pregnancy yoga stretches before bed and that helped too.

CoodleMoodle Sun 03-May-15 07:10:42

I suffered the same thing. Have you got a maternity pillow? It really helped me, I think it supported my bump and took some of the pressure off.

JontyDoggle37 Sun 03-May-15 07:12:26

Big fat pillow between your legs that runs all the way from your crotch to your ankles is what has helped me. The pain was my pelvis widening out to accommodate the baby, but when I laid down my legs were obviously still trying to lay as close together as usual, so I needed to prop them apart to the new width of my pelvis. Not a perfect solution, but better than nothing. And a giant tubigrip worn during the day around your hips helps with the night pain too

messyjessy7 Sun 03-May-15 07:19:48

Thank you everyone. Yeah taking paracetamol and off to the shops to look for a pregnancy pillow today. Any recommendations? From what I can see they are expensive, but if it helps defiantly worth the money.

whothefuckhas5children Sun 03-May-15 07:21:40

Doubled up duvet under your sheet for extra softness will really help.

messyjessy7 Sun 03-May-15 07:24:43

Thanks will try that as soon as do wakes up!

messyjessy7 Sun 03-May-15 07:25:39

*DP not do

MissTwister Sun 03-May-15 12:55:10

Also I had this really really badly at 20 weeks and now I am 27 it has eased somewhat. It still hurts every night but doesn't keep my awake all night. So what I am saying is it doesn't necessarily get worse!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now