Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What clothes to buy for baby?!?!

(13 Posts)
LG1979 Fri 01-May-15 20:42:51

Hi ladies

I'm needing some advice, hubby and I are going out shopping over the weekend to stock up a little on what little one is going to need for the hospital bag and the first week or so.
I'm just needing some advice on what is really required.

Do we buy vests & short sleeve bodysuits?
Do we buy all in ones/rompers or are these more like sleepsuits?

Help please! I don't want to go out and buy lots of things we don't need! confused

ThinkIveBeenHacked Fri 01-May-15 20:48:03

You need bodysuits - vest with little short sleeves and poppers at the crotch (no legs)
You need sleepsuits - all in ones with long sleeves and long trousers with feet in, and buttons all the way down the front.

Id suggest simply going to Next and gettig a few packs of each in "Up to 1 Month" size. Next purely as they wash amazing and the sleepsuits have fold over cuffs which cover the hands and mean baby doesnt scratch themselves and you dont have to buy scratchmitts.

Also suggest buying a cardi in the same size as they feel the cold when they are so dinky.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Fri 01-May-15 20:53:22

You need sleepsuits - all in ones with long sleeves and legs with feet in them. Go for ones with buttons all the way down the front.

You need bodysuits - short sleeved vests with poppers at the crotch and no legs.

Id just go to Next and get nine of each (or there abouts) in size "Up To 1 Month". I suggest Next as they wash well, are generous sizing and the sleepsuits have a fold over cuffs which cover thw babys hands and stop them scratching their faces (and you dont have to buy a separate pair of scratchmitts)

One or two cardis in the same size

One or two cotton pull on hats (newborns feel the cold so need hats on for the first few days).

Thats all clothes wise as others will buy you "outfits".

A couple of nice pram blankets too.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Fri 01-May-15 20:54:08

Oops my ohone crashed when I tried to post first time so rewrote it all and boom, my first post appeared!

LG1979 Fri 01-May-15 20:55:36

Thanks! So just to check, I don't need the sleeveless vest bodysuits? Just the short sleeve ones and sleepsuits?

ThinkIveBeenHacked Fri 01-May-15 20:58:31

When is the baby due? If height of summer then maybe the sleeveless ones would be a bit cooler but I always just kept mine in the ones with the short sleeves. What is good about the short sleeved ones is they have a funny little fold on each shoulder so they can be pulled down the body to get them off (if baby poos all over the vest etc)- the sleeveless ones dont have this.

LG1979 Fri 01-May-15 21:02:00

Baby's due on 30th June, just trying find out more of what I should have to get organised in a couple of different sizes for that first few days.

youlemming Fri 01-May-15 21:04:25

Just go simple with bodysuits and babygrows a couple of packs (6-10 of each depending on number in a pack) a couple of cardi's and maybe a slightly more padded jacket/snowsuit depending on when your due as it's still a bit chilly.
And a couple of hats, the stretchy topknot type ones as they are one size and are light weight enough to keep chill off without baby overheating.

Muslins and celluar blankets are the only other things you will need.

As said above you will get plently of little outfits as gifts.

LG1979 Fri 01-May-15 21:10:22

Thanks for all your advice folks!
That gives me a bit of an idea of what to get for now. I have a couple of cellular blankets so far and about 6-7 short sleeve bodysuits, so just need to get some sleepsuits/babygros, hats and mits.

ArcheryAnnie Fri 01-May-15 21:20:51

Do also check if anyone you know with kids has stuff they could pass on. The babies are in this size clothes for a nanosecond, so they don't get worn through, and I personally liked the used clothes better than the new as they were all beautiful and soft. (Plus I saved a ton of money, and could pass them along after a couple of months in my turn to the next mum.)

AvocadoLime Fri 01-May-15 22:02:53

It doesn't really matter whether you get the vest or envelope neck bodysuits in my experience. It's just personal preference/what works for you. My DS had a huge head and didn't really have many poo explosions but screamed bloody murder at having things pulled over his head/his arms pulled into things (he still does at 7m!), so the vest style with a wider neck was more appropriate for him.

One thing I remember is that he seemed to get warm very easily when he was a newborn and I was a bit worried about him overheating, so often I just had him in a sleep suit without a vest (even though I had bought them and planned to use them) and a blanket that I could easily pull on and off. When he was in 0-3 month clothes he didn't seem to get quite as warm so I started using them together all the time then.

ItsADinosaur Fri 01-May-15 22:41:21

Vests (the ones win short sleeves) and baby gro's (the ones with one sleeves and legs, they go over vests).

Hats for outdoors and mits potentially.

I've got some lovely quality baby gro's and vests from sainsburys. Cheaper too.

ItsADinosaur Fri 01-May-15 22:42:16

*with and long, stupid phone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now