Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is it safe to lift weights!

(12 Posts)
MissTwister Fri 01-May-15 14:52:46

I'm not talking about heavy duty weightlifting but having been to a few yoga classes I'm concerned how week my arm muscles are and don't want this to hinder positions such as all 4s in labour. Currently after about a minute my arms give up!

I have a 3kg hand weight at home - do you think it's safe to use this?

Number3cometome Fri 01-May-15 14:55:27

Yes

MissTwister Fri 01-May-15 14:56:50

Thanks - just checking I'm not going to strain anything!

Number3cometome Fri 01-May-15 14:58:24

Nah you'll be fine with 3kg, just be careful you aren't swinging them about and listen to your body, if it hurts, stop!

BreeVDKamp Fri 01-May-15 15:01:21

Yes it's good to do so, and keep up with cardio and stuff smile you'll need stamina for labour (or so I've heard! 38+1 with DC1). Loads of good pregnancy workouts of YouTube!

RockerMummy184 Fri 01-May-15 15:12:16

I still carry my 2yo round and he's considerably heavier than 3kg so I'm sure you'll be fine.
If you're worried, try doing your arm exercises while you're sat so there's no strain at all on your tummy.

HazleNutt Fri 01-May-15 15:26:28

would you worry about lifting a 3 kilo shopping bag?

geekymommy Fri 01-May-15 16:18:07

Lots of pregnant mums carry toddlers who are much heavier than 3kg.

youlemming Fri 01-May-15 17:13:28

Due to a shoulder injury I needed to strengthen the physio was quite happy for me to carry on in the gym using various weights equipment as long as you don't over strain things you'll be fine

NoArmaniNoPunani Fri 01-May-15 17:16:35

I'm still lifting heavy weights in the gym. I've been told that was fine.

EffinIneffable Fri 01-May-15 17:30:19

Yep, it's absolutely fine to lift weights as long as you do it properly. Any risk is to you rather than baby as hormones may mean you can over-extend more than usual, so listen to your body and don't workout to your max limit. You are generally advised not to lift heavy weights over your head in later pregnancy - this is more to do with changes in blood pressure and the risk of dropping it on yourself than anything else! I'm still deadlifting and kettlebell swinging at 27 weeks, but correct posture and technique is important. If you're doing it properly, even weighted arm exercised will use your core muscles a little bit to stabilise the rest of your body - but this is a good thing! The most important pregnancy exercise advise is to listen to your body and stop if you feel pain or very out of breath or just like you're overdoing it.

NoArmaniNoPunani Sat 02-May-15 08:08:54

Thanks ineffin, that's a really detailed answer. You hear so much conflicting advice. Right now, the only time I don't feel nauseous is when I'm exercising.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now