Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.
Standard time for c section referral?(16 Posts)
I've been requesting a c section at each of my midwife appointments due to difficulties that led to a traumatic labour with Dc1 happening again, I'm now 34 weeks and the baby is in exactly the same position as DC1 was and although I turned him he has turned back again. My midwife is saying that she can't refer me until 36 weeks but a friend is 10 weeks behind me, had a similar birth experience and has already been given her c section date.
How does this work? Should I be pressing my midwife or contacting my GP for a referral? She's not very reliable, it's taken 3 weeks for her to process my iron table prescription because she 'forgot'. I've also been in hospital with high blood pressure and all this wondering is only making things worse.
36 weeks is the latest date you should actually be seen by a consultant to book the csection, if that is what you decide to go with. 36 weeks to start the referral process is way way too late.
Usually there would be another appointment at some point earlier in the pregnancy at the hospital to discuss your options aswell, then the 36 week appointment would just be to say you're still sure you want to go ahead, and book it, as I said.
You need the referral NOW, to get the ball rolling. I'm not sure if a GP can refer you. is your midwife part of a team? Is there a central number you can ring? Or the antenatal clinic at the hospital, just to ask what they advise.
I'm sorry your midwife isn't being helpful.
I was referred to the consultant at my booking in appointment with my midwife at 8 weeks. I had an appointment with the consultant at 26 weeks and I was given the date for my c-section at this appointment. I have an appointment at 36 weeks to do swabs and get pre-op meds. It may vary between healthcare trusts but to be 36 weeks and to have not seen a consultant sounds like it is being left very late!
I pressed for a date with both elcs, the one I got later than the other was not on the date I wanted (ie I could get after 39 weeks or a bit before) so they do book up. You can get the consent forms signed even if they can't book the date yet.
Thank you for the replies - I need to make them get a move on with this, I'm so angry with the whole system at the moment and feel like I've been failed completely. The problem I have is that I've had a replacement midwife for 2 appointments and she told me they won't even consider seeing me until 36 weeks. My midwife then came back and doesn't seem to be taking me seriously, I'm seeing her next Wednesday so I'll make sure I get a referral before I leave, she's impossible to get hold of outside appointment times.
I'm not planning on more children after this one, I'm going to kick up,a massive complaint once my baby is here safely and we 're both ok. I just don't have the energy now, I'm struggling with blood pressure.
I was referred to a consultant at 16 weeks to discuss a section. Went back at 32 and was told I'd have to come back at 36 weeks to book the date, which I did - consent forms signed and everything.
I wonder if she's just assuming that I've made up my mind then and 36 weeks will be to book it? It's ridiculous, unless everything is straight forward I have to be a mind reader, then I'm told that I'm not relaxing enough :/. Thanks for the replies, I'll make sure she refers me at my appointment next week as I can't get in touch with her until then, I'm being monitored by the hospital so if I end up back in I'll ask them to help me.
I wouldn't assume anything. I think it would be quite unusual for someone to rock up in front of a consultant, request a section and get it green lighted and booked on the same day. Have you considered bypassing the midwife and phoning the hospital yourself? If I were you I'd be pretty anxious to see a consultant sooner rather than later.
I suspect the midwife has been fobbing you off.
I have been told I am having (another) c-section.
This was a done deal at 16 weeks, and I am likely to be having my section at 38 weeks, but they still will not give me a date until 36 weeks despite me already seeing the anaesthetist (I am a GA not epidural or spinal case)
Apparently that's just their procedure and if I go in to labour early, they will just do it immediately on the day.
It did piss me off / upset me, but that's their procedure so I have to stick with it.
Blink I told my midwife at my 16 week appointment that I wanted a section.
She referred me to the consultant midwife to discuss the pros and cons etc (so she was a sort of 'gatekeeper' if you like). We discussed my previous labour and she was very understanding and, whilst pro VBAC, understood my reasons. That was at about 24 weeks I think.
Anyway when it was clear that I still wanted a c-section she booked me in to see the consultant at 36 weeks. I'm assuming that this is when I have the final conversation and actually book the date for section.
Definitely see her and don't leave until you've been referred, OR you have a number for self referral to consultant!! Good luck.
I wasn't booked in my elective until 37 weeks - for 38+3! It wasn't certain I was going for one until then (DD was breech and low on fluid) but once the scan at 37 weeks confirmed it it was all systems go.
I would have preferred more notice though . So definitely push for it.
Told my mw at booking in, she arranged to see consultant at 16 weeks. Had a chat and sent home with leaflets on vbacs and elcs risks and stats and told to come back at 35 weeks.
Another quick chat and she lifted the phone there and then and got me booked in for 39 weeks. So that's this time next week.... Aargh
Misty it's not that they can't book you in at short notice, obviously they can book you in at a days (or less) notice, but as in this case the only reason for a csection is maternal request (sorry blinkandmiss not trying to minimise the problems you had last time, I just mean it's you asking for a section rather than them telling you you must have one) they usually would see the lady earlier to discuss the reasons. Or in the worst case scenario the Dr she sees could say it's not necessary and she would need time to get an appointment for a second opinion.
Good luck for your appointment next week Blinkandmiss
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.