Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Placenta Previa Risk?

(28 Posts)
ditzzy Mon 20-Apr-15 11:29:29

Just got back from 20 week scan (am actually 20 + 3). All looks great with my little girl, but the sonograpgher says my placenta is currently low-lying (and anterior) actually completely covering the top of the birth canal... She's booked me in for an extra scan at 32 weeks to see if it's moved.

Is this really common or am I genuinely now higher risk?!

She seemed a bit surprised when I said I hadn't had any bleeding and said to drop everything and come straight in for any kind of blood. I guess this just means I need to start carrying my notes everywhere with me too?

paidadarllenhwncont Mon 20-Apr-15 11:40:38

I had placenta previa with my second child. I had a completely normal pregnancy otherwise, no blood etc, but had an elective caesarian at 38 weeks becaause my later scans showed it hadn't moved and normal labour would have meant both me and DS2 would have been in trouble.

I don't think it's that uncommon but still need to be a bit more careful than otherwise I guess.

Droflove Mon 20-Apr-15 11:44:37

It's pretty common but if it doesn't move you will need a cs. Mine was only partially covering and moved well out of the way by 32 wks. Yours may not if it's completely on the cervix. It's nothing to worry about but you will be monitored more closely and at least it will be a calm, planned cs if it doesn't move. The best kind.

ditzzy Mon 20-Apr-15 11:47:58

Thanks both, that helps! I guess it moves or it doesn't but either way at least I (and the experts) know about it...

AbbeyRoadCrossing Mon 20-Apr-15 13:40:29

I had this with my DS, the bleeds might start in the 3rd trimester if they're going to. Mine was at 35 weeks when DS when head down, might be coincidence but perhaps he bashed it! I was told 90% move up so it might all be fine, good luck.
Based on my experience I'd pack your bag early if it's still low as you might be kept in on bed rest if you bleed.

twofalls Mon 20-Apr-15 13:42:54

I was at risk at 20 weeks. Had moved by 32 and had a normal home birth. Frustrating but there is nothing you can do.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Mon 20-Apr-15 13:44:17

And yes carry your notes. I put a sticker on the front of mine saying to call the triage number and to say placenta praevia so the person I say next to at work could call if needed. Luckily for them I was at home though!

ditzzy Mon 20-Apr-15 14:41:36

90% move! I'll take that for a statistic happily!! And if it doesn't most seem to have happy ending anyway? (Albeit risking some last minter drama)

Notes now packed into work handbag. I'll make sure a few people know around the office so they can react accordingly...

AbbeyRoadCrossing Mon 20-Apr-15 14:47:56

Mine was pretty dramatic but I was pretty unlucky they said I had a 1 in 200 chance of mine going the way it did (moved the wrong bloody way!!) Still DS is here now and all is fine, so even if it goes down the scary route, which is unlikely, they'll look after you.

ditzzy Sun 12-Jul-15 07:38:19

For those lovely ladies who answered before (and anyone else who picks this up now!)

32 week scan booked for Tuesday, but if I wasn't already nervous enough for that I've been under observation in hospital since yesterday morning with a small bleed... So I guess the results of the scan are unlikely to shock anyone, but we've made it to 32 + 2 now and have had steroid injections yesterday so feeling hopeful of eventual correct outcome!

AbbeyRoadCrossing Sun 12-Jul-15 18:46:18

I hope all goes well OP, and good that you've got the injections in

theaveragebear1983 Sun 12-Jul-15 18:54:23

I was exactly the same as you, told at 20 weeks and the midwife seemed very non-plussed so I wasn't worried. Then I got home and consulted Dr Google and Dr mumsnet and within minutes was very worried. When I spoke to my own midwife, she said that until 32 weeks they don't technically diagnose placenta previa, to give it chance to move. Avoid heavy lifting, avoid sex, and take any bleeding very seriously. After they've checked you at 32 ish weeks, then if it's still covering or near, they'll discuss your options with you and go from there. I wish they'd said this properly at the scan; it could have saved me several weeks of worrying, but the fact that they don't say much is probably a good sign- they're not worried at 20 weeks unless you bleed.

RockerMummy184 Sun 12-Jul-15 19:51:58

I know every case is different but as pp said 90% of the time it does move. That 12 week wait to find out if it has must be excruciating though.
I have placenta praevia and am carrying twins. (My consultant was also massively shocked I'd had no bleeding and told me to stop having sex just in case).
Because it's twins I have scans every 4 weeks to check their growth so they are monitoring the position of my low placenta too. In the 4 weeks since I was diagnosed and my latest scan it has already started to move and is no longer covering my cervix, so it can move very quickly. Hth.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Sun 12-Jul-15 19:56:28

I think if the OP is in hospital with a bleed and has been given the steroids injections (in case of early delivery) it hasn't moved at all or much though. When I was in with bleeding they didn't bother to scan again as it was obvious where it was!

TheHumanSatsuma Sun 12-Jul-15 20:02:48

I had this with my son (2nd baby) and was told to expect caesarian at 36 weeks unless it moved up. Late scan at 32 weeks showed that it had moved up a bit - little so and so was a week late. I had a significant amount of blood loss during birth though and bleeding throughout labour. Having said that it was a much easier birth than my first. Diiferent health trust so I can't directly compare, maybe they watched me a bit more closely?

RockerMummy184 Sun 12-Jul-15 20:04:11

Sorry OP, guilty of not RTFT. Good luck! Hope everything goes well. X

ditzzy Sun 12-Jul-15 21:51:31

Thanks All! Especially Abbey smile

They discharged me around lunchtime as the bleeding has stopped, and as previa won't technically be diagnosed until the scan on Tuesday they agreed to work on the "unexplained light bleeding rule of 24 hour obs" rather than the "previa bleeding rules of minimum 48 hours the first time and probably not allowed out on subsequent rule" on the strict condition that I come back in if there's any hint of blood, pain, contractions, reduced movements etc. (and as they're seeing me again on Tuesday too)

They do seem to assume we know know the likely the result of the scan already now though, and warned me I should be prepared to come back in.

Luckily enough I have an incredibly wiggly baby at the moment which is very reassuring!! Interesting re-reading your comment Abbey about your suspicion that it may have been your babies head bumping into the placenta that triggered it - yesterday was one of the few times I felt mine come down from her high-presenting transverse position...

AbbeyRoadCrossing Sun 12-Jul-15 22:44:39

Glad you are going home, much more restful than the ward I bet!

I have heard of it being low at 32 and subsequently moving up too - it's quite unpredictable I think. A woman at my work had low at 32 weeks and went overdue in the end. I expect they'll check again at 36 weeks with a scan, assuming there's no more bleeds, so you never know

I do wonder about the head down thing. The midwives were a bit obsessed that DS was breech at the time (I wasn't bothered about turning him seeing as I thought a CS was possible anyway) then I felt him go head down and engage, the bump visibly dropped and it was that might I went in. He was in the head down position on delivery so he had definitely turned around that day as I had the midwife appointment in the morning and delivered about a day later. Just my wondering thoughts though and my own completely made-up theory!

Hope it all goes well. And they might've done one already, but they might be getting the dildo cam out on Tuesday if they want an exact position.

ditzzy Sun 12-Jul-15 23:04:34

One midwife kindly speculated that as it was a mixture of old and new blood maybe it was a sign that the placenta was moving... ie that there was suddenly access to a hole to release a bit of trapped blood. Sounded a bit like clutching at straws to me, but I guess it does sound logical!

I'll update here on Tuesday evening anyway smile

ditzzy Tue 14-Jul-15 16:47:41

No longer completely covering os but still partial - sonographer said it's unlikely to completely clear in time now, but also unlikely to need hospital based bedrest unless further bleeding. Re-scan in 4 weeks smile

The consultant was next to useless though! She asked how I was feeling, I replied 'much better since the weekend' and she nodded and went to sign me off. She made some casual remarks about needing to come in if I have any bleeding etc so I said 'like on Saturday' and she looked guilty and decided to actually read my notes....

General summary seems to be just not to overdo it and report in at first sign of trouble. All looking good - and scan shows baby already weighing over 4lbs which sounds quite healthy to me smile

AbbeyRoadCrossing Tue 14-Jul-15 17:10:32

Good stuff OP smile well apart from the not reading your notes that is!
Are you at work? Good excuse to take it easy anyway if you can

ditzzy Tue 14-Jul-15 17:35:53

I've been working at home this week so far - I had only planned four more days in the office (two this week and two next) so pretty good timing all in all).

Taking it easy sounds like a great plan smile

ditzzy Fri 07-Aug-15 10:05:50

Placenta now 3 cm away and 'head below leading edge'!!!! Thanks for everyone's words of support Abbey in particular grin

Looks like I got away with it at the last minute

Skiptonlass Fri 07-Aug-15 15:08:29

Nice one!! Glad it's moved.

I'm in exactly the same boat - scan in a couple of weeks. No bleeding yet...

Vey glad yours has moved, gives me some hope

ditzzy Fri 07-Aug-15 16:36:31

Thanks Skipton I've still got to see the consultant next week to make sure she doesn't want to be more cautious with me due to the bleeding episode, but looking good, feeling good!

Good luck with your scan - apparently the fuller you can get your bladder for it the better (although I nearly overdid that this time, particularly as they were running half an hour late grin )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now