Advanced search

Pregnant and partner has schizophrenia ADVICE please

(6 Posts)
Tia2005 Wed 18-Feb-15 08:51:49

Hi I'm 8+4 me and my partner have been together for about 2 years we don't live together I knew about his mental health problems but didn't really understand we see each other a few days a week, i have a 9 year old from another relationship she has no contact with her dad and I just no im going to be doing this on my own I'm thinking of ending things with him also I'm worried about the baby having mental health problem s

LadyCurd Wed 18-Feb-15 09:03:35

Is you partner stable and on meds? If supported properly no reason why he can't be a good father. Speak to your midwife for support and they may be able to put things in place to support both of you. If your partner is unstable or has regular crisis intervention then social services may need to get involved to ensure your children are safe.
In terms of the risk of your child developing the condition yes there is an increased risk to 10% but remember that is 90% chance all will be fine. Upbringing of the child will be key and supporting their mental health.

The rethink website and helpline is very useful.
Good luck

Tia2005 Wed 18-Feb-15 09:10:03

Thank you yes he's stable and on meds and sees doctor ever few months
Just feel I've made a big mistake getting pregnant

LadyCurd Wed 18-Feb-15 09:14:36

At the stage you are you still have options and it maybe worth contacting BPAS or Marie Stopes to talk though your options and help you make a decision right for you and your family. Does your partner know you are pregnant? How have they reacted?

Tia2005 Wed 18-Feb-15 09:18:31

Yes he's knows and is very happy

sianihedgehog Wed 18-Feb-15 13:19:58

I know a few people with schizophrenia and they are lovely people. When they are stable and well I can't see any reason why they would have difficulty having a relationship with any children they had. Even when they are unwell they are not evil or anything, just very anxious and very very confused.

I don't understand why you are thinking of splitting up with your partner, OP? Is it because you only just found out that his mental illness is schizophrenia, and you are worried about what that will mean? If that's the case, I'd suggest contacting Mind and asking them about what it all means. They have a page about schizophrenia here:

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now