Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

What do you fancy eating to curb morning sickness?

(22 Posts)
EmberElftree Tue 17-Feb-15 16:03:48

Am only 6w2d but feel sick all the time with gagging not actually vomited though. I have gone off chicken (usually love it) and won't eat well done steak, not keen on fish anyway nor lamb. Not keen on having eggs anymore esp. if they've not got runny yolks. Worried I'm not getting enough protein - any ideas?

Today I have had:

4 mini oatcakes to stop first thing nausea
2 small slices protein bread with 1/2 can baked beans
half a pack of the natural confectionary co. snakes
salt n vinegar lays
huge asian salad with lots of crunchy veg (didn't eat the peanuts)
Lots of water, 1 glass of milk, 2 cups of tea

I did have a bacon buttie at the weekend and it was gorgeous! Maybe should just eat more bacon?

elvisola Tue 17-Feb-15 16:08:53

I lived on various combinations of cheese and potatoes alongside salt and vinegar crisps for about 10 weeks.

StarSpotter Tue 17-Feb-15 16:10:12

Cheese, cheese and more cheese. Crackers and hummus too. Then more cheese and crisps.

EmberElftree Tue 17-Feb-15 16:10:52

Sounds right up my street elvisola

EmberElftree Tue 17-Feb-15 16:11:58

Yes Star the hummus went down well I guess that counts as protein

mrsdos Tue 17-Feb-15 16:13:18

Dry crackers, water and the occasional polo. Although I am 12+2 its all that has got me through work today confused

Ohwhatbliss Tue 17-Feb-15 16:14:36

I felt the same way, only vomited a handful of times but felt constantly nauseous. All I fancied eating until 14 weeks was fruit and tomatoes. I was really concerned about the lack of protein but if I tried to eat meat I would be sick. I had lost nearly a stone by 12 weeks despite not actually being sick and was quite worried. Now 14+2 and I can face chicken, tofu and mince. Almost back to "normal" eating and I have put on a kilo and a bit. I think in the early stages you just really have to eat as much as you can of whatever you can!

LollyLondon Tue 17-Feb-15 16:14:56

Salt and vinegar crisps (preferably Hula Hoops) and
Rich tea biscuits!

EmberElftree Tue 17-Feb-15 16:26:37

Great that you're getting back on track Ohwhat - I cooked mince a couple of weeks ago and wanted to throw up - don't like the smell at the best of times but man that was rank. DH's aftershave made me feel sick the other day grin( I love it usually. Can't wear perfume myself at the mo.

It's all worth it for my little one though just want to be sure they are getting all they need.

Seems salt n vinegar crisps are the way forward! What cheese are we talking here? I like a good strong vintage cheddar. Not tried to eat the will give it a whirl tomorrow...

EmberElftree Tue 17-Feb-15 16:26:59

oops was meant to be a sad face!

misssmilla1 Tue 17-Feb-15 18:49:20

Spent the first 3 weeks eating a combo of jacket potatoes with cheese and beans, beans on toast with cheese, heinz tomato soup and toast and cheese (see a theme much?! I figure the cheese and beans should provide some sort of food group coverage...) Also went and bought fish fingers / fillets (which is weird as I havent eaten them in years!) Went right off fruit until last week, and even now it's only bananas and papaya that are ok, and meat was touch and go.

I can't eat anything slimey or wobbly (like porridge) It's like my tastebuds have regressed to being 8 years old again!

I actually made myself eat red meat in the last few days and I feel a load better for it - i.e. I can actually face it now (unless I have to touch it raw)

ember you can eat nuts - the info about avoiding from a few years back was proven to be unsubstantiated. You could up your protein there if you can face walnuts or almonds

hestialou Tue 17-Feb-15 20:28:30

Cream crackers and strawberry's this week, but no doubt it'll change in a couple of days!

Cornberry Tue 17-Feb-15 20:47:14

Avocado. Really good for you and mild. I've found I can keep that down. Also egg mayo sandwiches. X

MrsMogginsMinge Tue 17-Feb-15 22:08:33

It's a bit boring but almonds are really good for settling your tum and steadying your blood sugar.

avocadotoast Tue 17-Feb-15 22:10:03

Alternated between orange Lucozade, salt and vinegar crisps, and sweets, as and when I fancied them.

It is rough, OP, but hopefully you'll be past it soon. I'm 27 weeks and still a bit pukey in the mornings but the nausea has gone at least.

originalusernamefail Tue 17-Feb-15 22:12:01

Cheese, pickled onion monster munch, and milkshake. For 40 weeks and 1 day shock Ta DS

Purplecircle Tue 17-Feb-15 22:20:07

Crisps are good. I'm eating a lot of toast.

You can have runny eggs as long as they are lion stamped - my midwife told me that

She also said you can have rare steak as long as the whole steak is sealed to kill surface bacteria.

EmberElftree Wed 18-Feb-15 04:22:12

I'm eating a small handful of almonds and cashews every now and then they're ok I can deal with crunchy. I usually love egg mayo but even typing it makes me feel a bit green. Thanks Purple I'm not in the UK so wouldn't trust the runny eggs here. Will continue to trudge on and see what I fancy day to day. Jacket potato works for me!

MrsD14 Wed 18-Feb-15 07:38:29

I'm mostly eating avocado and spinach. Sometimes in a wrap if I can stomach it sometimes just in a bowl. Pretty much just that! Most other food (sweet and savoury) seems to taste weirdly sweet and make me queasy. Very odd...

EmberElftree Wed 18-Feb-15 07:48:44

I have that that too Mrs - lots of things taste like they have saccharin in them and make me nauseous it is so weird. I don't have a sweet tooth anyway but sweet stuff tastes over the top sweet & artificial.

StarSpotter Wed 18-Feb-15 08:18:23

My cheese of choice is double Gloucester with chives and onions. But, quite frankly, I'll eat what's there. I've even lowered myself to the odd Babybel on occasion. I also vote salt and vinegar crisps. Hate them usually.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 18-Feb-15 11:37:09

Wholemeal toast with crunchy peanut butter for elevenses (at 9am)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: