Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Can anyone help me stop freaking out about DC2 being transverse at 31 weeks?!

(10 Posts)
Mrscog Tue 17-Feb-15 13:51:00

So I'm 31+3 with DC2. DC1 was breech and turned by ECV at 38 weeks, and I was REALLY hoping for no positioning issues this time. However, this one seems to be transverse (weird bump shape, and a hard lump either side). I have tried to keep calm so far, but I'm now panicking on 2 levels -

1) The selfish level - I don't want a CS, I'm looking forward to labour this time, I don't want to have to look after a toddler in a remote village whilst not being able to drive etc. etc.

2) The anxiety level - why is this baby not head down? Maybe the cord is tight, what if there's something wrong etc. etc.

It's making me really fed up on top of an already not brilliant pregnancy. I just want a nice head down baby for a change. sad

HolyDrinker Tue 17-Feb-15 13:55:57

With my 2nd baby she was bouncing around in all sorts of positions right until lift off! She was breach at my 34 week appt. Apparently, it's really common for second babies to move around lots. Something to do with everything being a bit more stretched in there!

Mrscog Tue 17-Feb-15 13:58:11

Thanks HolyDrinker, that's exactly the kind of story I want smile DS1 was so stubbornly breech, this one is more of a mover, so I suppose that's good. DS1 also turned out to be the most stubborn child I've ever met, so it's no surprise he wedged himself in. Really hoping for DC2 to be a bit more 'malleable' mood wise!!!

ISolemnlySwearImUptoNoGood Tue 17-Feb-15 14:02:08

Don't panic! There's loads of time yet. Baby will probably flip during the night when you don't even feel it.

My DC2 was to and fro for ages. She'd been breech since 30 weeks and I was like you, totally flipping out because they were talking about breech births no elcs. Had a scan at 38 weeks to check what she was doing because the week before she was still the wrong way and she was head down and stayed that way. She'd flipped and I didn't even notice, thought I might at 8lb 12!

blackwidow74 Tue 17-Feb-15 17:27:34

My son was transverse with the cord underneath him at 35 weeks and I looked like a rugby ball ... After spending a few days on hand's and knees with bum in the air higher than shoulders he settled into head down and stayed there ... you still have plenty of time for your little one to turn so don't panic yourself ... use a birthing ball to bounce on, spend 15 mins a couple times a day on all fours or lean across the back of a chair and rock your hips from side to side ... All are recommended for transverse lie babies smile

Mrscog Tue 17-Feb-15 21:52:22

Yes, I need to get the ball out for definite. Just so hard to motivate myself, after a day at work then an evening with 3yo DS I'm just about ready to slump! Still must keep threat of CS in my mind!

ElphabaTheGreen Tue 17-Feb-15 22:07:26

It was no odds to me as I was down for an ELCS anyway, but I was transverse at 34(ish) week scan with DC2. He got himself breech a couple of weeks later, then head down by due date - not that he'd ever have got out that way due to my weeny pelvis and knack of growing enormous babies.

It's honestly no big one if you do have to have a CS. If you've got a good GP you should be able to talk them around the driving thing which I did, and was driving again, with permission, three weeks after. I was also lifting my two year old after a couple of weeks. I know quite a few people who have said recovery after an ELCS is actually easier than after a difficult VB. It's also easier to sort out childcare for DC1. DH and I dropped DS1 off at nursery like normal, went straight to the hospital, DS2 was born and DH picked up DS1 at his usual time that afternoon. No panicking about going into labour at an awkward time and having to tell in-laws to be on-call around the clock from due date onwards.

Cisforcat Tue 17-Feb-15 22:16:59

I'm in exactly the same situation. Have a 14 month old DD and found out yesterday at 34 wk app this little sod is transverse. C sec is my worst nightmare due to caring for DD and having no friends/ family nearby or anything within walking distance.
Fingers crossed for both of us they move. I had a v traumatic time with Dd and was hoping for a 'nice' labour this time but it's out of our control to an extent and so I'm trying to tell myself there's no pout worrying. Still a few weeks yet and as others have said, /nd babies don't get into position until later on - sometimes even until labour so we have hope! wink

Mrscog Tue 17-Feb-15 22:27:32

Yy and I can see upsides to an ELCS (mentally prepared myself last time) but the thought of being away from DS is sad which is silly as I might have to stay on after a vb anyway. Fingers crossed all round smile

ElphabaTheGreen Wed 18-Feb-15 09:43:43

I was only in overnight after my ELCS! Surprised me no end, as I was in for three days after my EMCS (just because it was procedure, not because I 'needed' to be IYSWIM).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: