I'm being induced on Fri due to thyroid issues, dr is worried placenta will stop working earlier than normal... Can I refused to have my waters broken after the pessary & not go on the drip? The more I think about it the more I'm having second thoughts about the induction. I can't help but think it's the start of all interventions ending in a c sec, yet I know the aim is baby's well being... Would love some advice, thanks!!
Firstly I'd just like to say I had a very long drawn out induction, starting with pessary and ending with a drip and epidural. Waters went Mon 3am, pessary Tues 9am, drip later that day, epidural Weds morning. Baby born 9pm Weds night. Vaginal birth with no episiotomy, no forceps, no ventouse - so an induction doesn't necessarily mean a CS at the end.
As far as I know, the placenta doesn't stop doing its job until the baby is born.
You can refuse whatever you like, but if you've got as far as having the pessary you might as well keep going in my opinion (it's only my opinion though). How over due are you?
Ah, then I would be inclined to go with the obstetrician's advice myself but it is always such a personal choice. Presumably they think the risk of the placenta being less effective is sufficient enough that's important to get the baby out because of increased risk of still birth?
If you have the pessary and contractions don't start and then you refuse the drip how long will you wait before you decide you do need to be induced? Is your only concern the possible added intervention? It may happen, and statistically it's more likely than a 'natural' labour, but it may not - as in my case.
Yes my only concern is the added intervention, what I'm worried about is that I won't be given a chance to have a natural birth and they'll just go from one intervention to the next quickly in order to move onto the next person, perhaps I'm over thinking things....
But as you say Gooorooo it's possible to has a natural birth despite an induction & I guess if the obstetrician didn't think it was important he wouldn't suggest it....
Good luck whatever you decide . Remember that in the end it is absolutely your decision and you can choose to disregard the medical advice if you want to but they may not make you feel that good about it.
Hello, I just wanted to let you know my induction story to see if it helps. I was induced two days before my due date with my little girl as thought her stomach was too small (which is a sign that the placenta has stopped working, turns out it's just the way I make them) I had the pessary at about 10pm,,had a bath and tried to sleep. Partner was called back in at 12 as I was in established labour, little girl born at 3.50am. No further intervention. The only thing different from my other labours was that I was constantly monitored so more restricted. Good luck and I hope you get the birth you want
Hi there, I was induced a week early as baby had stopped growing. I was given the pessary at 9am and DS2 was born at 9.21pm the same day. They broke my waters 20 mins before he arrived, other than that there was no intervention.
I've been induced twice - body doesn't seem to be able to do labour! No c sections. First labour was long and I had an epidural and drip, second one was only 13 hrs and didn't even need one and they did pessary, gel, waters broken. You could of course have a c section but that could happen with any labour, good luck. Personally I'd follow the medical advice. Discuss your concerns with them too.
Don't want to frighten you at all but placentas can stop working. It happened to my mum with my sister. She was 42 weeks and noticed baby wasn't moving so went in to hospital and had an immediate emergency c section. Sister was fine but was quite blue and with lack of oxygen.
So because of that I'd take the medical advice. I was induced a few years ago with my first and had epidural and forceps but my labour was long so I might have needed all that anyway. Whatever you decide - good luck! hope you get the birth you want
I was induced with my DD. I had the pessary at 10am and was sent home (low risk pregnancy so I didn't need to be monitored). Contractions started at 7pm, waters went at 4am and she was born at 5:30am. No interventions. Good luck :-)