Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Can coughing hurt my baby?

(4 Posts)
UsernamesHarderThanBabyNames Mon 16-Feb-15 19:24:40

I'm 23 weeks and have had a nasty chest infection for the past week. Am on antibiotics and am finally over the worst of it but am still coughing up phlegm extremely forcefully throughout the day, a few times to the point of vomiting. I can't help but worry that this must be distressing or even physically dangerous for the baby, is there any truth in this or am I being paranoid and irrational?!

Foggymist Mon 16-Feb-15 20:13:19

Coughing won't do anything to the baby, except maybe wake it, no worse than lots laughing or something.

leanne963 Mon 16-Feb-15 21:12:22

I had a horrible chesty cough when i was about 14 weeks and apart from having some spotting (very sensitive cervix) nothing happened to the baby smile They are really well protected in there! He or she was probably just rattled about lol

RubbishRobotFromTheDawnOfTime Mon 16-Feb-15 22:01:34

I know it feels awful and it's worrying, but if it reassures you, I had horrendous coughing fits through most of my pregnancy last winter. So bad that I couldn't sleep lying down and I was even sick a couple of times. My DD is absolutely fine smile

They are well protected in there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: