Advanced search

Why did I get this weird letter from midwife?

(10 Posts)
Whoishillgirl Mon 16-Feb-15 18:53:19

Or it might be from a HV, I am not even sure. I think it is a midwife. It reads as if a HV has informed a midwife of my pg. It is addressed to the carer/parent of my son, not to me. It congratulates me on my pregnancy, I am not pregnant. It gives me an appointment for a home visit. Dh opened it and was quite upset as I was pregnant but the pregnancy ended in the autumn. The baby would have been due in a few weeks.
It is clearly a mistake, but why isn't it addressed to me, and why a home visit, I have never been offered one before in my two pregnancies?
All very odd.

RhiannonElward Mon 16-Feb-15 18:57:39

I would phone whoever signed the letter and ask them to explain themselves. It's horribly insensitive of them to send a letter like that by accident, and they need to make sure it doesn't happen again. I'm not surprised dh was upset, it's tough enough to handle losing a baby without hcps actually making it worse for you flowers

applecore0317 Mon 16-Feb-15 18:57:43

Really sorry for your loss in the Autumn. In my maternity notes it lists a health visitor call to your home around weeks 36-38 amongst your midwife appointment. So it sounds like the HV wasn't notified. It is weird that it wasn't addressed to you

Whatabout Mon 16-Feb-15 18:59:29

I got one from HV with wrong nhs trust (very wrong, 100 miles away and I've never been there) wrong date on, wrong nhs number on.. I binned it. It was offering a home visit. They can do one. HV with last pregnancy was sooo bad.

I'd send yours back with a terse note. I'm sorry for your loss.

UniS Mon 16-Feb-15 19:00:22

It happens, I was invited to antenatal classes 4 months after a lost a pregnancy at the same hospital.... DH stepped up to the plate and wrote an incandescent letter of complaint. Had another apology from mW at my next pregnancy booking in visit.

Whoishillgirl Mon 16-Feb-15 19:12:14

Thanks for the replies and the sympathy. I will phone the number tomorrow and explain and explain our circumstances too. I am sure they will be apologetic. I am sorry this happened to you too unis.
Applecore, I think it is totally weird it is addressed via my son too!

Ridingthestorm Mon 16-Feb-15 19:38:59

I think I know what this may be. About a few weeks before my son was born, I had a home visit from the HV. Jut general stuff and red book.

It seems that the HV hasn't been informed of your pregnancy loss. Yes, quite insensitive but unfortunately in a less than perfect world, these things happen.

Quite within your right to phone, cancel and complain about the lack of communication between health professionals. flowers

Dogsmom Mon 16-Feb-15 19:46:55

I agree with the others, hv's have to do an ante natal visit a few weeks before the baby is born now, it's quite a recent thing, I didn't have it 2 years ago with dd1 but have this time with dd2, someone has made a mistake somewhere and not altered your notes.

A horrible insensitive mistake though.

Pandora37 Tue 17-Feb-15 02:38:01

I'm really sorry this has happened to you. Sadly, this is very common and I find it absolutely infuriating when hospitals don't bother to tell community midwives and health visitors that women have miscarried or they don't scan in the notes so they don't come up on the computer system. Do put in a complaint if you want to, it's not the health visitor's fault but it's ridiculous how common this is and the hospitals need to learn that it's not on.

houghtonk76 Tue 17-Feb-15 05:31:38

Sorry for your loss. Agreed, should complain. Had terrible experience with antenatal clinic & hospital A & E near us when I had mmc at 7 weeks in Jan 2014, never seemed to know who we were, why there & gave me form to fill in about pregnancy last (third) visit, but no form at all the two times before, it was all about how preg I was and could I be having mc, umm no - already had one thanks for asking. Had text from mw about setting up booking appt just after found out had lost baby, txt back explaining unfortunately had lost baby & was sorry they hadn't been told - lovely apology though, which was good. Silver lining: pregnant again 20th July, am nearly 34 weeks son due 1st April. Still very hard to get communication between health pros though, even tho diff hospital this time (birthing centre in original one from last year) as mw section & ultrasound seperate & don't talk to each other or my GP. Finally called mw myself to book at 26 wks or so after meeting him (yes, spanish, hums que sera & propsed to my hubby at first appt cos he used to be a chef) at 1st booking appt at 9 wks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now