Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

high blood pressure at almost 21 weeks :( worried?

(7 Posts)
Rebecca1608 Mon 16-Feb-15 16:42:58

I'd been getting dizzy spells for the last few weeks if I stand for a long length of time and begin to feel sick. My BP was normal before pregnancy, was lower during my first few months of pregnancy but today GP told me it has rocketed though not telling me what it was, didn't hold back in telling me how this could cause further complications with my twin pregnancy etc. especially as they're sharing a placenta? how my MW will think it's a worry, so will my consultant when I meet one. I feel awful about it as its already a high risk pregnancy. She's put me off work for a week. I've maintained a healthy weight, eat right and try to walk when I'm not feeling too tired.

I don't know what's caused it but even though I'll be giving birth at 8months everyone is telling me to carry on working until 7 months to have extra time with children afterwards but I'm just about approaching 21 weeks and I'm shattered.

I feel so down sad

Slongette Mon 16-Feb-15 17:04:13

I've 'just' been diagnosed with high blood pressure at 20 weeks.

My bmi is high, so am already under the consultant anyway. I eat well, walk the dogs twice a day and run around after 15 month old DS. They have put me on a very low dose of medication which has brought it right down.

I've not had any high blood pressure symptoms and it is lower now than at my booking in appointment so not sure why they are panicking now.

I think they worry about pre eclampsia but it's easily controlled with the medication.

I know it's easy to say, but try not to worry too much as that must have an effect on your blood pressure. When are you seeing your MW and consultant?

Rebecca1608 Mon 16-Feb-15 17:27:17

I'm glad I'm not the only one then. My bp has always been normal or lower than it should be and she's put the shits up me saying about complications. I'm sure you're right about worrying having an impact on my bp and I've also been struggling at work.

I'm not booked in to see my mw yet but I'll book this week since I'm off anyway and meeting my consultant for first time on Thursday. I'm getting bloods done next Monday and GP wants to see me again Monday after, aswell as fortnightly scans and mw appointments.

Slongette Mon 16-Feb-15 18:38:50

It's a bit much for your GP to get involved as well - that can't be helping matters! If you're struggling at work they could sign you off and it won't affect your mat leave.

If they were really worried they'd be wanting to medicate you ASAP.

Keep well rested - I'm a twin and my mum ended up having 6 weeks bed rest at the end of our pregnancy. It's important to not do too much!

Rebecca1608 Mon 16-Feb-15 19:06:47

Yeah she didn't mention any medication so will just try and rest as much as I can. I'll see how I go after this week off. I might feel a lot better, hopefully. Thankyou.

SilverStars Mon 16-Feb-15 19:23:05

You can get a fit note from work that is for reduced hours for medical reasons if that is the case from your Gp. Or if you need signing off you can get paid until 36 weeks I believe but start maternity leave at 36 weeks then. Or you could look at your annual leave and take some in the last month or so of pregnancy to reduce days or stop work earlier and attack annual leave onto it to help.

Rebecca1608 Mon 16-Feb-15 19:37:35

Yeah I was planning on finishing work end of April. take my 3 weeks annual leave in May then start maternity end of May then have babies beginning of June but I think I'll have to go off sooner than I thought or drop from 5 days to 4!
I'm really stuck as Work isn't very understanding with appointments and scans. I get scanned fortnightly at a hospital which is not local and takes 50 mins to get to. So instead of giving me the time I've had to swap my day off to go to everything on the one day off I get. Only Sunday I get to myself which I spend shopping for baby stuff or New house stuff.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: