Talk

Advanced search

Do you still need to drink a load of water for 12 week scan?

(22 Posts)
enviousllama Mon 16-Feb-15 08:14:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nolim Mon 16-Feb-15 08:21:09

I dont think i was told that.

justjodie92 Mon 16-Feb-15 08:22:50

I had my 12 week scan in December and I was told to drink plenty of water before. Something to do with helping to give a clearer image

gingerfluffball Mon 16-Feb-15 08:26:04

I dutifully followed the pint instructions and was told my bladder was too full for a clear view blush apparently you just need to drink enough so you feel you need to go - means your bladder won't be empty but you also won't be mega uncomfortable (like I was).

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Mon 16-Feb-15 08:28:06

It depends on the equipment.

Newer equipment doesn't need it, older stuff does. I didn't have to with DD1 or DD2 (big London teaching hospital) but did for DS (smaller, local hospital).

OTOH, if you have a decent drink of water, you can always wee. Whereas it takes quite a long time to do the reverse. grin

HannahB86 Mon 16-Feb-15 08:53:56

I have my 12 week scan this Friday and in my confirmation letter it says to drink 1 litre of water an hour beforehand! Don't know how I will manage as I'm running to the toilet after every small glass of juice/water at the moment! But I think it depends on the hospital and the type of equipment they use. I'm sure they would have told you beforehand if you needed to drink.

eurochick Mon 16-Feb-15 08:58:44

Yep, it depends on the equipment so it should say whether you need to drink in your appointment letter.

enviousllama Mon 16-Feb-15 09:02:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HollyJollyDillydolly Mon 16-Feb-15 09:12:36

I just took a bottle of water with me to drink while I was waiting. They're usually running late anyway so gives plenty of time to get enough water in there.
I drank a load of water before my first scan and then they were about 45mins behind and i was sitting in the waiting room desperate for the loo. in the end they made me go and let some out as my bladder was too full. (not easy)!

Cornberry Mon 16-Feb-15 10:09:45

I asked about this at my last appointment. It's to do with how modern the equipment is. My letter says empty bladder and the midwife said its because the equipment is more sophisticated at my hospital.

Number3cometome Mon 16-Feb-15 10:13:34

I had to drink the water - was told if my bladder was not full then I would have to come back later.

The equipment is new Toshiba and Alkoa machines.

It also has a lot to do with the size of the mother, it's not just about the equipment.

happygojo Mon 16-Feb-15 10:16:45

Depends on you as well, my letter said a litre an hour before. I drank about 600ml and was REALLY uncomfortable and then the US lady had to get me to go to the loo. Next time I am just going to try and not go to the loo the hour before the scan and drink normally

Cirsium Mon 16-Feb-15 10:19:43

I was told to drink a pint of clear, non gassy liquid an hour before the scan. Then during the scan right I was asked to go and empty my bladder three quarters! Didn't know it came with a measuring gauge.

Threesoundslikealot Mon 16-Feb-15 10:23:57

The hospital should give you instructions and if they don't mention it you can always call in advance to ask rather than sitting there in discomfort. They don't mind being called as it can save the inconvenience of rearranging a scan I would guess.

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Mon 16-Feb-15 11:38:03

I had my 12 week scan on Friday. They didn't tell me to drink water (checked my appointment letter) but when I arrived they said they couldn't see the baby well enough because I hadn't drunk enough water. So they sent me away. I drank so much water that I felt sick and then they stabbed around at my stomach some more (by this point I'd been at the hospital well over an hour) and then they concluded that they couldn't see the baby well enough because I have a retroverted uterus and could I please take another day off work and come back in a week's time. Argh. Sorry. Rant over.

Fanby Mon 16-Feb-15 12:19:41

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore I had such a similar experience! There was nothing on my letter but i decided to drink a ridiculous amount of water to the point my bladder was too full. Then I emptied and they found out I had a retroverted uterus, so it was either fill up again or transvaginal ultrasound so went for the latter which worked a treat! Hope your next scan goes well!

Kelly1814 Mon 16-Feb-15 12:25:08

I think if you are going somewhere with older equipment, yes. My consultant told me absolutely no need at all.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Mon 16-Feb-15 12:32:20

It depends what equipment they're using. The very newest equipment doesn't need a full bladder.

grocklebox Mon 16-Feb-15 12:33:50

It's not the hospitals fault that you have a retroverted uterus!

dillydollydarling Mon 16-Feb-15 12:34:52

I had my 12 week scan today and my letter said to make sure I had a full bladder. Probably could have been fuller but didn't hinder being able to see baby.

Rebecca1608 Mon 16-Feb-15 13:09:28

I have a weak bladder and was told to drink plenty and make sure I had a full bladder- I struggled to do so and emptied my bladder right before the scan. I had a VERY clear scan.

NickyEds Mon 16-Feb-15 13:24:08

At both of my 12 week scans I've dutifully drunk loads of water and had to do half a wee for the sonographer to get a good view. With ds he was all squished up so they couldn't do any of the measurements until I gave him some room!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: