Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Flu jab?

(28 Posts)
ambientolf Sun 15-Feb-15 19:43:52

Hi, I had my booking in app today & my midwife mentioned having the flu jab. She did say it was coming to the end of season but to have it anyway. With all the talk in the media at the moment of it not working on the majority of people, is it worth me getting it done? Have you had it done? I am 10 w 2 by the way. X

MissyBear10 Sun 15-Feb-15 19:59:38

I had it done - had my baby last oct. am so pleased that we both will be having it next year. Hubby keeps getting sick and the most we get is sniffles!

Hope this helps.

MissTwister Sun 15-Feb-15 20:19:57

What's the reason not to is the question I guess?

ToriB34 Sun 15-Feb-15 20:33:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cornberry Sun 15-Feb-15 20:44:15

I had it done by my GP. He said it was now highly recommended for pregant women and had no adverse effects so I got it. I think it's probably a good idea.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Sun 15-Feb-15 20:48:12

I had it this year at 14 weeks pregnant. Would have had it earlier but I couldn't get an appointment! if it protects me against even one strain of flu I'll be happy! I've had flu before and it was truly hideous, I can't imagine having it while pregnant (especially as I have a toddler to look after too). 4 pregnant women in my area were hospitalised with flu last year according to my midwife, so not worth the risk IMO.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Sun 15-Feb-15 20:49:38

In terms of 'reasons not to', some people will say the flu jab gave them flu but as it's not a live vaccine this is likely to be pure coincidence.

MissTwister Sun 15-Feb-15 21:23:43

Agree with you. I never understand people that say this because it would be a shit vaccine and rather detrimental to public health if it gave you any kind of illness it was meant to be protecting against! As you say its also impossible as not a live vaccine

ToriB34 Sun 15-Feb-15 21:38:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fattycow Sun 15-Feb-15 21:46:50

I didn't get one.

sianihedgehog Sun 15-Feb-15 22:05:24

It's absolutely worth it. Actual flu is a really serious illness, not just a cold. I was in bed for days with fever so severe I was hallucinating last time, and it took WEEKS before I was well enough to walk more than about 100yds. My flatmate missed nearly three weeks of work with it as we both developed severe bronchitis. One of my mates ended up going to hospital with pneumonia.
It'd be a huge risk to a pregnancy if you got flu, and the risks from the vaccine are so tiny that they're practically nonexistent.

Katnipp Sun 15-Feb-15 23:28:26

As well as seasonal flu (which this year has shown they won't always predict correctly) the vaccine always includes swine flu. This strain in particular was fatal to some pregnant women when it was first around and is the main reason why the vaccine is recommended.

soontobemumofthree Sun 15-Feb-15 23:35:31

I'm pregnant, got one 2 weeks ago but I work with public so feel I am at increased risk of getting it. Heard the media reports but not sure they can assess total benefit of vaccine until season over.

ch1134 Mon 16-Feb-15 00:02:14

Get it. Flu is awful.

Maki79 Mon 16-Feb-15 00:07:06

I've had the flu jab 3 times. Each and every time afterwards I get a hideous cold that has taken 3 weeks to fully recover from. I usually refuse it but because I'm pregnant this time I accepted. I don't have a spleen, so a weaker immune system....not sure if this is why I get the colds but I certainly am hardly ever ill usually. Can't imagine this is coincidental.

SoonToBeSix Mon 16-Feb-15 00:08:15

You will struggle to get one now.

blankfornames Mon 16-Feb-15 07:29:03

I would get it if I were you. I ended up in hospital critically sick with pneumonia for a week when I was 34 wks pregnant. I got the jab since. Despite how healthy you are normally, your immune system becomes brittle when you're pregnant. Luckily me and the baby are fine now.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Mon 16-Feb-15 08:36:10

Agree with people thinking a bad cold is the flu. They're a completely different virus with different symptoms. When I had flu I physically couldn't get out of bed for 2 weeks. I had to be fed flat coke with a spoon as it was the only way to get fluid and calories into me. My limbs were heavy and weak and I was hallucinating. No blocked nose/cough etc, they are cold symptoms not flu symptoms.

pickle84 Mon 16-Feb-15 15:36:44

I had it just after 12 weeks, and my 6yr old has been really poorly with it, so has my husband but ive not been affected at all smile
i would go for it!

Discobugsacha Mon 16-Feb-15 15:40:31

I would not bother this year, it is only about 3% effective at best. They got the strains wrong and it does not provide any protection to most of the flu going round this year.

changingagain Mon 16-Feb-15 15:50:43

I had mine 5 weeks ago when I was 6 weeks. The next week DH started complaining of sore arms, legs and throat and the next day was alternating between cold sweats and hot shivers. I was completely fine apart from a slight bruised feeling around the injection point for a day.
If it had been in the news before that it's almost useless this year then I may not have bothered but I'm glad I did as I think it's very likely that it was flu that DH had.
Also, there really is no reason not to get it. It does not contain the flu virus and it is fully tested before being released. When people get other illnesses (or other strains of flu) afterwards, it's coincidence. It does tent to be the same time of year when many people get ill.

Zahrah5 Mon 16-Feb-15 15:55:27

Sorry but werent these related to autism in children?

I havent done much research yet.

blowinahoolie Mon 16-Feb-15 16:08:47

I'm getting mine done this week, just booked it this afternoon. Will get whooping cough vaccine later on in the pregnancy too.

blowinahoolie Mon 16-Feb-15 16:10:17

"You will struggle to get one now."

Nope, it's offered until the end of March in most surgeries. It is in NHS Scotland anyway.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Mon 16-Feb-15 16:12:21

No Zahrah. That was the MMR and the theory has been completely discredited.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: