Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Maternity trousers

(20 Posts)
dancinglorna1984 Sun 15-Feb-15 10:06:42

Hello, I am 16+3 and have a bump which is now bursting out of my trousers. I have looked around at a few high street shops and all of the trousers seem to be 'Skinny' leg. I didn't have the legs for those before I was pregnant let alone now so I just wondered if anyone could offer any suggestions on shops to try? I don't really want to order online if I can help it. Thank you smile

cadidog Sun 15-Feb-15 10:13:52

The only places you can avoid online shopping for maternity gear will be H&M and Mothercare. Maybe Mamas & Papas too? Try them all. Though I think your best bet is Next and ASOS online I'm afraid

dancinglorna1984 Sun 15-Feb-15 10:16:23

Thank you, I will have a look. I struggled to find trousers to fit before in the shops so I dread shopping online.

plinkyplonks Sun 15-Feb-15 10:27:45

Got some great jeans from Next outlet - they were described as 'skinny' but really were nothing of the sort. They don't often have their maternity stuff out on the rails so worth asking at the counter if they have any stock. Got 5 pairs of lovely jeans for around £23 this way :D Next online were great for maternity dresses and Boots for maternity tights.

Black trouser wise, I bought mine from here:

www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/sp+black-tailored-maternity-bootleg-trousers-in-maternity+b4854

Nice and comfy, and perfect over the bump. Have been wearing some from around week 20 - and at week 30 they are still comfy to wear and i suspect i'll be wearing them post birth too!

Mama's and Papa's do OK dresses but I haven't yet bought any trousers from there that are nice and bootcut or wide fitting.

Eltonjohnsflorist Sun 15-Feb-15 10:29:12

Mothercare. Maternity clothes generally are crap though sad

Poolbirthx2 Sun 15-Feb-15 10:31:06

I had trouble finding black work trousers.
Next is the best place - have a look online

2015isgoingtobeBIG Sun 15-Feb-15 10:34:01

I had the same problem as my thighs do not love skinny leg trousers. I've stuck to skirts for work, leggings with long jumpers or skirts and got one pair of over bump jeans in a bundle from eBay that are wide legged and the comfiest pair ever. They are denim all the way up over the bump so look odd but under a jumper you wouldn't know and I live in hem at the weekend.

sleepybee Sun 15-Feb-15 11:06:57

Next online. I love my topshop Leigh jeans - again mat stuff is online only but easy to order collect in store & return to store if they don't suit.

Also ASOS is good.

Tbh apart from the topshop jeans I've stuck to next leggings or M&S maternity tights with aSOS dresses

NickyEds Sun 15-Feb-15 11:26:40

I got some bootcut ones from Peacocks and they were really good.It's a bit of a cheapy shop and they don't have a large range but at least I could try them on- something that drives me nuts about the high street in general. You've never needed to try clothes on more than when you're pregnant so on line stuff is a PITA

fattymcfatfat Sun 15-Feb-15 11:28:03

new look had boot cut maternity jeans in amd maternity trousers aswell. I bought some skinnys the other day. so comfy!

skyra13 Sun 15-Feb-15 11:39:31

I have found H&M the best also I am in bigger side and there stuff fits well only place where I live that does maternity in store and mothercare I like H&M prices better! Lol

LittleMiss77 Sun 15-Feb-15 11:42:14

OP I'm the same - I could never find trousers to fit when I wasn't pregnant and now that I am... let's just say there have been a few meltdowns!

I've found ASOS jeans to be really good and for work I'm currently in a pair of M & S trousers with an elasticated waist. The trousers cost me 16 quid and are really comfortable. My plan is to wear them until they no longer fit then hopefully it'll be warm enough to wear dresses!

Misty414 Sun 15-Feb-15 14:04:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HollyBen Sun 15-Feb-15 14:12:53

Throughout both my pregnancies I never found a comfortable pair of maternity trousers. For work I stuck with my usual trousers but bought a couple of bump bands (Mothercare and Jo Jo Maman Bebe do them, and other I am sure). These might be worth a look

HollyBen Sun 15-Feb-15 14:14:49

Saying that I am currently 37+6 and wearing a pair of Mothercare yoga pants which I picked up in the sale. They are extremely comfortable!!!

Want2bSupermum Sun 15-Feb-15 14:23:18

I found trousers to be a pain. Living here in the us we have destination maternity which is a Mecca of maternity wear. Tried on enough pairs to give up on pants!

I found dresses far easier and they worked better when I was in the last weeks. Wore support tights with them in a bigger size so they went over my bump.

For jeans asda (Walmart here) had the best jeans. Ended up at Walmart desperate because one morning I couldn't fit into my pants.

stubbornstains Sun 15-Feb-15 14:23:50

To my chagrin, I discovered that there were precisely 4 styles of maternity trouser/jean in the whole of Truro: 2 skinny in New Look, and 2 bootcut in Peacocks. I dislike skinny AND bootcut! I eventually got some cheap boyfriend style ASDA jeans from eBay, which are OK, except that they're falling down slightly at 25 weeks.

I don't know what the point of my post is, except to say that if you live in Cornwall you have to resign yourself to online shopping (realise you probably don't, OP).

Does anybody else get disconcerted by the models they use to model maternity trousers online? Size 8 with a strap on bump and 6 inch heels....yes, that tells me everything about what those clothes are going to look like on me hmm.

theDudesmummy Sun 15-Feb-15 14:27:59

When I was pregnant I bought loads of different maternity trousers for work second hand on eBay, some were great and some didn't work but it didn't really matter because they were all cheap. Beacuse they have usually only been worn for a few months, maternity clothes are a really good buy second hand! I sold them all on again afterwards as well!

blowinahoolie Sun 15-Feb-15 15:29:38

NCT nearly new sales sometimes sell lovely stuff, but you have to be early in the queue.

As for brand new, I think New Look have a nice range of maternity wear, but it's not available in all stores.

WorryWurta Sun 15-Feb-15 16:46:44

I really like the 'reform' jeans they sell at mothercare - they are a little more expensive but the preggo waistband cand be unpicked after the baby and voila, regular jeans. They seem to size a little on the large size too which I'm guessing is useful post-baby ("yes I'm still a 12, it says so on the label!"). Personally I believe under the bump jeans to be the work of the devil as mine always fall down but I might just be oddly shaped.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: