Talk

Advanced search

Can't eat thanks to morning sickness :(

(3 Posts)
RhiannonHughes92 Sat 14-Feb-15 18:28:28

I'm currently just over 11 weeks pregnant, I have been suffering with sickness for about 3 weeks now. It started by me not being able to eat two large meals a day (I used to eat 24/7) which was fine as I was still eating enough (in my eyes). But not this past week, I am struggling to eat anything with nutritional value.. I can snack on things like chocolate and crisps and these will make me nauseous but it's controllable with breathing techniques (breathe in through my nose, and deep breaths out my mouth) and sips of water. This is starting to get worse, and less controllable. I can not eat any meal without either throwing it up, or being very very nauseous and rolling around wishing the world would just swallow me whole!
I sat down with a small bowl of pasta mix, at 17:45 and I am still trying to eat it now (over half an hour!)! After just a spoonful I am nearly throwing up so just eating a small amount at a time.
I am just wondering if there is anything I can do?! I can't constantly take so long to eat (I'm a carer and only have half an hour for lunch break, and rarely get this full time) but I also need energy! I'm hoping I will soon start to feel better, but I then start stressing myself out thinking my baby isn't getting enough food, which in turn probably then doesn't help my sickness! I am also tired 24/7, which started when I was only a few weeks pregnant, which is obviously not going to get better when I can't eat! This entire time I am not hungry (which anyone who knows me knows that this is not me as I would eat anything if it looks nice, even if I am full!) I have lost around a stone in weight (was around 13.5 before pregnancy) from not eating properly. I hope this makes sense, and I've not waffled too much! Just trying to add as much info as possible! Thank you very much! smile

Cornberry Sat 14-Feb-15 22:49:21

I'm so sorry you're having to suffer through this, it's awful. I have been suffering with extreme morning sickness for about six weeks now and I sympathise with you. I think it might be worth seeing your GP to get some medication because if you are unable to eat enough to function normally then it might get some help. I was prescribed various antiemetics and while it doesn't make you feel 100% it certainly makes you more able to keep food down. Also I had the same problem, only be able to stomach all things very colourful. Many people suggested things like crackers but I found the only things I could eat well cereal, potatoes, hash browns, eggs, and certainly very mild fruit like melon and nectarines and also some yoghurt. It is excruciating the vicious cycle of feeling hungry and nauseated and four and empty at the same time. I hope this passes for you very soon. x

MuddyWellyNelly Sat 14-Feb-15 22:58:32

I can't offer much tangible advice. But so long as you are taking a folic acid supplement that is staying down, and preferably a pregnancy multi-vit too, baby will get all they need. It is you that will suffer. Are you able to keep liquids down? What about smoothies or soup? If you can't even keep that down then it might be time to see your doctor.

I hope it passes soon, it sounds miserable.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: