Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Where to go on honeymoon when 4-5 months pregnant?

(11 Posts)
Pieface5 Fri 13-Feb-15 10:34:33

My fiance and I are getting married soon and have just found out that I am pregnant.
We were originally going to go on a trip which involves camping, with a view to a more luxurious holiday in a year or two. Now I know that I'll be 4 or 5 months pregnant I have vetoed the camping trip and am keen to get a relaxing and more traditional/luxurious honeymoon in before baby comes!
Does anyone have any tips for travelling abroad when pregnant? Where is it safe to go and where would be best avoided? If anyone else has honeymooned whilst pregnant I'd love to hear where you went and how you coped.

Marshpillow Fri 13-Feb-15 17:15:02

I was 3 months preg on my honeymoon, however the honeymoon had been booked a year in advance so I ended up being bag holder while DH went on all the rides at Universal Studios in Orlando. It was also pretty hot and even at 3 months I struggled a bit with the heat. However I am a bit of a wuss.
The 9 hour flight was fine, no problems there.
I was still getting over my morning sickness but didn't have a problem finding food to eat there.

If I'd known I was going to be pregnant on honeymoon I wouldn't have chosen to go there, but I still had a great time.

ag123 Fri 13-Feb-15 17:38:26

I had also already booked my honeymoon well in advance and ended up going when 20 wks pg. We went to the Maldives...literally the only exotic holiday I have ever been on and first (and only) time outside Europe. I don't think I enjoyed it any less for being pg though, probably more actually. Couldn't do scuba-diving but perfectly possible to do snorkelling still. I really loved having a relaxing 'lounging around' holiday, I thought it was perfect really. I am also really glad we had that one last luxury, couple-y holiday before holidays would never be the same again!!

Skiptonlass Fri 13-Feb-15 17:38:57

im generally a pretty adventurous traveller, but this years summer hols are going to see me 5 months preggo, so my wish list is...

Not too hot
Nice hotel
Access to water (clean pools, the sea or a lake)
No insect bourne diseases
No extra vaccines needed (I've had pretty much every jab known to humanity already)
Short haul flight (under eight hours)
Low danger of food or water bourne illness
Good healthcare system just in case

Depending on your heat tolerance, cap Verde is nice. Or lindos on rhodes... Or if you fancy somewhere cooler, why not try Scandinavia ? Or the Alps in summer are stunning....
If you like it (and I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I love it) there are some stunning beaches in the outer Hebrides.

Good luck! Wherever you go you'll enjoy it if it's your honeymoon.

StrawberryTallCake Fri 13-Feb-15 17:44:21

We went here when I was pregnant Antigua the memories of drinking a decaf coffee lying on the lounger outside the room watching the sea as the sun came up will never leave me!! The verandah of the room is directly on the beach and the sea (when we went) was still and like a bath.

Such a beautiful and peaceful place. It is all inclusive but not in the traditional sense - all restaurants are table service and the food is gorgeous, they picked coconuts from the trees for me in the morning to drink from. grin

StrawberryTallCake Fri 13-Feb-15 17:44:59

Ooh it is also child free...so we won't be going back - for another 15 years at least!!

redcaryellowcar Sat 14-Feb-15 04:47:49

We went on honeymoon to Italy when I was five months pregnant, it was lovely, dh was keen to see a lot of cities, which I found a bit tiring, I much preferred the pottering about in the nicer hotels we booked in our second week, gentle strolls along the beach/ promenades and swims in the pool. Italy is very family friendly, so very supportive and excited generally re pregnancy!

Pieface5 Mon 16-Feb-15 17:44:17

Thanks for all your replies! Ooh very tempted by the Maldives I must say, looks like I'll be around the 20 week mark too... Antigua looks lush too! I had assumed we'd have to go somewhere closer to good ol' Blighty. This is very exciting!!
Is flying long haul really not too unpleasant at that stage? I'm sure that even if we only ventured as far as France we'd still have a great time but would love the opportunity to get a bit further afield.

BananaToast Mon 16-Feb-15 17:53:08

I flew to New Zealand and back at 16 and 18 weeks and found the flight the same as normal. I wore flight socks and made more effort than normal to get up for a stretch and a walk and it was totally fine. I didn't start getting uncomfortable until 24+ weeks.

StrawberryTallCake Mon 16-Feb-15 18:15:54

At that stage I felt fantastic! Antigua is only 8 hours and a small transfer as it's a small island. I remember the sciatica kicking in a little but nothing a little walk up and down the plane doesn't fix.

I've only flown up to 9 hours away when gp not the 13 to the Maldives but if you feel you can the Maldives is probably unbeatable for the pure beauty of the place!

StrawberryTallCake Mon 16-Feb-15 18:16:55

*pg

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: