Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

phrases to help overcome hospital phobia

(11 Posts)
sleepy2kp Thu 12-Feb-15 19:43:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WorryWurta Thu 12-Feb-15 20:06:46

Hi Sleepy, was it you who posted about hospital phobia a while back? (I have a terrible memory for names!)

I trained as a hypnotherapist, and the wording is very personal based on what your specific fears are and what personally helps you.

But since that isn't very helpful! The things that help me with my OCD (which includes a germ phobia, which includes discomfort in GP/hospitals) are to focus on all the other people who are there, and the fact that they are fine. Focus on all the nurses who work there everyday for 12 hour shifts and they are fine. All those people wouldn't be there if there were any danger. I reckon if you can get through it once then you'll have the memory that you've done it and you were fine and that will be the best proof you need. I would also focus on practising focusing on your breath, if you do 5-10 minutes a day it will really help train your brain to be familiar with switching to a calm state. Count in for 4 and out for 8, try to just focus on the breath and the counting.

MissTwister Thu 12-Feb-15 20:10:37

I'd suggest buying one of the overcoming.... Books they have health anxiety, general anxiety and I believe phobias and loads of others. They're CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) based and the gold standard - were recommended to me by a top clinical psychologist from the priory.

I always found that saying things like 'I am calm' doesn't help as they're not true and therefore jar with reality making you feel worse. You'd be better off with phrases such as I am afraid/ panicked but I know I will be okay and will deal with this, it will end'

Good luck, you will get over it with work and practice I promise xxx

comeagainforbigfudge Thu 12-Feb-15 20:54:14

Oh how awful for you.

Can you try a mind map exercise? So write hospital in centre of a blank bit of paper then write all the words you associate with hospital around it? Might help you figure out what it is that's causing the phobia?

Can you ask your mum if you were ever in hospital as a child, that you don't remember about?

This might sound silly as well, but try to start telling yourself that you NEED to go to hospital. You don't WANT to. Treat it like a task/chore. Arrange something nice afterwards.

I have a terrible fear of dentist, stems from sensitive teeth, not enough local and mean dentist working on my teeth as a child. Was visibly shaking going in. I knew I needed to go so made my self. then went straight home to bed

Several years later I know that I need to tell dentist need a lot of local.

I know it's not the same as your fears, just wanted to give an example. I NEEDED to go to dentist, and my treat was afternoon nap grin very much needed as I exhausted myself with the stress of it. But was also very proud of myself of seeing it through!

Good luck!

geekymommy Thu 12-Feb-15 22:18:07

What, exactly, scares you about doctors and hospitals? The phrases you use are going to depend on that.

For me, it's two things:
1. Being told something is wrong and being forced to change everything about how I am living, to something I won't like
2. Fear of criticism or negative evaluation

I have a fear of needles, but that's a lot easier to deal with (I tell the person with the needle that I'm afraid, and I don't look at the needle).

I'm overweight, so my fear of being judged or criticized unfortunately has some basis in reality. There is fat-shaming out there, and some doctors don't realize that it doesn't work to make people lose weight (we have lots of fat-shaming in the US now, and more of us are obese or overweight than ever, so it obviously isn't working).

I just want you to know, you can do it. Yes, you can (to borrow a phrase from a recent Presidential campaign here). You can deal with going to the doctor during your pregnancy and birth. You'll be afraid, but you can do what you need to do. I did it, you can do it.

sleepy2kp Fri 13-Feb-15 09:10:39

sleepy2kp Fri 13-Feb-15 09:12:06

comeagainforbigfudge Fri 13-Feb-15 09:35:15

Every week from 30weeks!! Blooming heck. That's a lot. The need/want thing defo won't help. I meant more for each regular appointment.

Don't apologise first of all.
Everyone has something that makes them uncomfortable.
Are you able to go to gp/medical centre?
Just thinking if so get your midwife appointments transferred to there. Phone your midwife to see if she can arrange it.

You will need to go to hospital for your 20week scan but TRUST me this will be worth it. Seeing your baby up on screen will be amazing. My wee baby was a laid back wee thing that kept trying to hide. So funny!! Stubborn yet laid back. ..

Anyway I digress.
Get yourself to the library and look for CBT self help books. It may take a long time to get an appointment with psych services.

I found the first thing with my dental fear was facing it. Acknowledging that I have a fear.

Which is what you are doing now.
You also don't want to tell strangers about personal things. But (in a please don't get scared and runaway softly softly approach) you are telling us about your fear. In a nice safe anonymous environment of course.

However, my point is, you've done it

Keep coming back and telling us how your doing. You'll get very many different approaches on how to deal with it. But consider all approaches and use what you think suits you most.

You sound like you have a fab dh. Get it written in your notes that he has to attend all hospital appointments and that he may ask questions on your behalf that are agreed between you before hand

flowers (just because)

sleepy2kp Fri 13-Feb-15 10:32:17

geekymommy Fri 13-Feb-15 13:45:55

No, telling you what you should or shouldn't have done before trying for a baby isn't helpful at all. Unless you have a time machine, what exactly are you supposed to do now? That's just shaming. Pointless shaming at that- you couldn't modify your behavior now in response to the shaming even if you wanted to.

Also, as medical professionals, they should know that not everybody who has a baby was trying for one.

geekymommy Fri 13-Feb-15 14:13:19

(If any of you DO have a time machine, can you lend it to me, so I can go back to last week and buy a Powerball ticket with the winning numbers? I'll give you 10%...)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: