Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Could i get some suggestions for a useful things basket for a new mum

(47 Posts)
SurlyCue Thu 12-Feb-15 19:26:03

Im putting together a little bundle of things to bring to my cousin when she has her baby. I have bought her a main gift but would like to bring some useful stuff to make those early days a bit easier on her and things i found useful when mine were babies.

So far i have
Nappies/wipes
Teething gel
Nappy cream
Flash cleaning wipes (not for baby! But just ease of cleaning spills and bathroom/kitchen in a rush)

I'm drawing a blank now as clearly i have deleted the baby fog time from my mind! grin

All suggestions welcome smile

FloweryBoots Thu 12-Feb-15 19:54:37

Decent hand cream. My hands were wrecked with washing them after all the nappy changes.

Lansinoh if she's breast feeding?

Nice drinks bottle - I got really thirsty when breast feeding but also tended to nock drinks over when trying to find a comfortable position to feed in so used a sports top bottle A LOT.

Infacol? Handy to have in to try if you find you get a colicy one!

Chocolate/flap jack/biscuits

DVD/book to read for all the hours feeding (if it's her first, second and more times round all those hours feeding will be spent trying to entertain the older one(s)!).

SurlyCue Thu 12-Feb-15 20:00:22

Ooh hand cream is a brilliant idea because i know she suffers from dry hands as it is. Is there one you would recommend?

Yes its a first baby so hopefully she'll get lots of time to cuddle on the sofa.

What DVD/books are good right now?

RiojaHaze Thu 12-Feb-15 20:02:36

Breast and maternity pads - boring but practical!
Nice bubble bath, or oils to add to her bath for relaxation and healing.
Subscription to netflix rather than DVDs?

TheOddity Thu 12-Feb-15 20:06:37

Gone girl was a really good book

Muslin squares, 'emergency' dummy (I didn't want mine to have one but in my desperation one night I went and bought one to try - got spat out!), infant calpol, infant nasal spray, thermal mug, Sophie the giraffe, a mumsnet book!

Unicornofdoom Thu 12-Feb-15 20:11:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SurlyCue Thu 12-Feb-15 20:11:22

Thank you this is a great list!

Is there a particular brand of maternity pads and breats pads that are good?

happygojo Thu 12-Feb-15 20:12:42

There are these pad things on Amazon, called bath herbal pads or something, anyway you soak them in boiling water and then freeze/chill and then they can go on your foo foo. I bought some for my friend as part of a newborn survival kit and 9 months later she still thanks me regularly for those pads she used after her episiotomy!

Jaffakake Thu 12-Feb-15 20:13:22

Johnsons breast pads are great.
Chocolate truffles - pink champagne ones.

AliceInHinterland Thu 12-Feb-15 20:13:44

Lansinoh breast pads are the best!

HolidayHunterTeam Thu 12-Feb-15 20:13:46

Bottle of wine and chocolate, for mummy, of course!

SurlyCue Thu 12-Feb-15 20:15:01

Ooh happy brilliant suggestion! I could have done with those after my episiotomy! Shall have a look for them. Thanks.

HiawathaDidntBotherTooMuch Thu 12-Feb-15 20:15:10

I would say a magazine, or a book of short stories (along the lines of Marian Keyes under the duvet) rather than a novel. When I'd just had my DC, my attention span was short as I was so tired. It was hard to concentrate on a novel.

Dry shampoo.

Bondy83 Thu 12-Feb-15 20:16:02

Johnsons baby night time cream I swear by it. My 2 were covered in it after bath time every night and we're always settled content sleepers.

tethersend Thu 12-Feb-15 20:16:09

Dry shampoo
Coffee
Eye drops

FlappertyFlippers Thu 12-Feb-15 20:17:03

Some baby nail files, since their nails are so sharp and cutting them with scissors was too scary for me

FlappertyFlippers Thu 12-Feb-15 20:18:18

metanium nappy rash cream

A pack of muslin squares

ilikepie Thu 12-Feb-15 20:18:59

A nice portable dim night light if you can find one. And let me know if you do, mine have died after 4 years and I need them!

SurlyCue Thu 12-Feb-15 20:19:51

Metanium!! Thats the one i couldnt remember. Its the yellow one? It was brilliant on both my babies.

Piratesloveunderpants Thu 12-Feb-15 20:20:11

Oh yes, eye drops would have been appreciated. Lanisoh is the best product EVER!

What a lovely idea and friend.

HollyAndIvyTime Thu 12-Feb-15 20:25:12

Gripe water, cotton wool, benpanthen nappy cream, bio oil or kamillosan stretch mark cream, chocolate!

OhGood Thu 12-Feb-15 20:26:54

good dry hair shampoo! Bumble and Bumble ideally.

RockCrushesLizard Thu 12-Feb-15 20:30:35

Definitely metanium - it's the best!

Also vanish sensitive liquid. I never had to throw away a vest, after daily breastfed baby poi-namis.

Also, tell her that vests can come down over the shoulders, they don't have to come over the head. A very useful tip I learned on here!

slippermaiden Thu 12-Feb-15 20:30:43

Reusable breast pads? Can get on etsy. Beautiful materials and will last for any further children she has ��

AliceInHinterland Thu 12-Feb-15 20:33:11

Baby massage oil too - Waitrose do a lovely vanilla coconut one.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: