Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Bump measurements

(9 Posts)
kjonesey30 Wed 11-Feb-15 14:40:11

Hi, just wanted to ask whether anyone else has been concerned with the bump measurements the midwife takes.
I'm now 34 weeks, and until now I've always been measuring big.
At my last appointment, which took place at home, I was 32 weeks and measuring 34cm. Today at an appointment at my GPs I was still measuring 34cm.
The midwife has said to wait another two weeks for another measurement. Not sure whether to be concerned or not?

ILiveOnABuildsite Wed 11-Feb-15 14:46:28

I wouldn't worry about it to much, bump measurements are not really that accurate and are really just a rough guide. I was measuring 24 at 26 weeks and last week at 29 weeks I was measuring 27 so always a couple of weeks behind. Midwife didn't seem worried though. Also it will change a lot depending on who is measuring it.

As long as you are feeling good movements I really wouldn't worry.

blackwidow74 Wed 11-Feb-15 14:46:30

Don't be concerned ... I have measured ahead by between 2 and 4 weeks since 24 weeks ... and a scan showed baby is of average weight and size ... midwives measuring is very hit and miss ... so much so I was measured by 2 on the same day who gave different measurements smile

blackwidow74 Wed 11-Feb-15 14:47:36

Baby's position can play a huge part in measurements too ... and if measuring 34 at 34 weeks you are on target smile

MehsMum Wed 11-Feb-15 14:51:29

I always measured a couple of weeks behind - and I always had huge babies. I think it's just a very rough guide, and a way of checking that you are still (gently) expanding.

kjonesey30 Wed 11-Feb-15 15:12:33

Thank you for your reassurance! It does seem like a very inaccurate way to measure growth etc.
Yes, movements seem fine, and the midwife thinks baby is head down, and there's a strong heart beat. Maybe I was just having a 'slim' day today!

sleepybee Wed 11-Feb-15 15:16:45

It must differ depending on what you've eaten, if you've been to loo & position of baby - sometimes my stomach is bursting then other times smaller plus sometimes baby seems to spread out and other times curled up right in front at my belly button and it will really stick out

LittleGreyCatwithapinkcollar Wed 11-Feb-15 15:29:03

I measured 31 weeks at 28 weeks and 29 weeks at 31 weeks... but I was measured by 2 different people and they started in two completely different places! I'm not worried really as I know the bump grew a couple of cm in that time, it's just the people measuring did it differently. Also the 1st time I was desperate for a wee which I think pushed it up! The fundal position has always been in line with dates so I think the measurements are hit and miss and if they were worried they'd scan!

Bondy83 Wed 11-Feb-15 16:06:33

As long as your within 3cm of your weeks either way they don't worry about it. I've always measured whatever I week I was up until a few weeks ago I'm currently 37 but only measuring 35 when I asked the midwife she said it was still within normal range and it could be to do with how the baby is lying. I had a scan on Monday (nothing to do with my bump measurements) & it showed the baby is about 7lb so he's a healthy size

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: