Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Homerton Hospital 5th expectant mother to be death January 2015

(12 Posts)
Naphia Wed 11-Feb-15 14:04:54

Hello, first ever post. Im 15 weeks pregnant with DCDA twins (3rd pregnancy) and I have just discovered that Homerton has had another death of a mother during birth. The death occured January 17 2015. This is the fifth in just over 2 years.

Im really worried and seriously considering changing hospitals. I would be grateful of suggestions on other nearby hospitals as Im new to the area. I live in the borough of Hackney. Thank you.

FobDodd Wed 11-Feb-15 14:13:36

Could you ask to be referred to a the Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel? Or how about University College Hospital, Euston. Maybe you don't even have to be referred, I'm pretty sure my SIL self referred to UCH. There is also the Barkantine Birth Centre on the Isle of Dogs, though I started out there and the unexpected transfer to Whitechapel by ambulance was an awful experience. It looked like a hotel thoughsmile

I know people who were happy with Homerton, but also some very sad occurrences . Maybe that's the same with all hospitals.

BlueDiamond89 Wed 11-Feb-15 20:37:38

I'm in the same position as you Naphia, this is my 2nd pregnancy - my first being at Homerton Hospital which I was overall generally pleased with the care I received. I arranged to have my 2nd pregnancy at Homerton but after reading about that same incident I'm also concerned now and thinking about changing hospitals.

I'm thinking maybe UCH...I read somewhere that Royal London maternity unit isn't very good...you can also try Whittington Hospital in Archway (North London)

MissTwister Wed 11-Feb-15 22:00:22

I don't know about the latest one but a quick google shows that the last death prior to this was due to the mother refusing blood for religious reasons. Would be useful to know what the other 4 were due to.

soundsystem Thu 12-Feb-15 09:45:12

I've ok by ever heard good things about UCH if that might work?

Or Whipps? Has a bad reputation but I think that's largely historic - have only heard good things recently (I know three people who've given birth there since November who all rate it, compared to three who have been to the Homerton and had a horrendous time. Obviously that's purely anecdotal, I'm sure people have good and bad experiences at both, but if it was me at the moment if choose Whipps of the two).

soundsystem Thu 12-Feb-15 09:45:49

Sorry, stupid phone, that should say "I've only ever heard good things..."

Zahrah5 Thu 12-Feb-15 10:08:03

I am in same area and I have choosed North Middlesex (choices were Whipps or Homerton) UCH I feel is too far in case to go there in labour etc.

So far it was OK. North Middlessex has also bad reviews but I think they all do. Lots of old reviews is from the past. At least the entire maternity building at NME is brand new, only 1 years or so old and is very nice. I went to look at birth center and it is just beautiful, rooms are very large and have large pools and beautiful attached bathroom with another regular bath.

Negative I have is that the antenatal clinic is very busy, they are all booked up and you have trouble to get appointment according to NHS schedule as they are none available. Was advised to go to GP to have antenatal appt instead.

Zahrah5 Thu 12-Feb-15 10:08:56

*lots of bad reviews is from the past

NancyRaygun Thu 12-Feb-15 11:08:21

UCH is an excellent hospital.

Summerdaydreams Thu 12-Feb-15 13:20:22

The Royal London is excellent in my opinion. They would always be my first choice.

Naphia Thu 12-Feb-15 20:23:47

Thank you all for replying. After some quick research and speaking to other mums I think Im going to transfer to Whittington Hospital. This is due to distance and they also run a twin clinic.

Racheyg Thu 12-Feb-15 21:15:26

I can second whipps. Had my ds1 there 19 months ago and due to have my ds2 there in may. Hope all goes well x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: