Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Would you fly at 29 weeks?

(11 Posts)
Horseradishes Tue 10-Feb-15 20:03:29

Dh has booked for the two of us, plus pil and our 3yo, to go on holiday to Italy for a week when I'll be 29 weeks pg. I was happy for him to book it but now I'm getting irrationally scared. It involves a two hour flight and then some touring by car and stays and several towns/cities. He has said that all the towns/cities have hospitals (and doctors of course!) except one night whilst we're there, so I'd never be far from a doctor if needs be and hospitals quite readily accessible too.

In my last pregnancy I flew to Greece at 24 weeks and stayed on an island with no hospital and had no problems. I think the couple who delivered very early in New York has startled me though.

Would you feel happy to fly and go on this 7 night holiday? I don't want to br ungrateful to dh. My travel insurance covers me for this trip and airline and midwife are happy, I'm 16 weeks atm.

reni1 Tue 10-Feb-15 21:51:30

I would fly, just make sure to know where the nearest hospital is in any given town. Even in the unlikely case that you'd go into labour, Italy is as good a place as the UK for hospital care and your insurance covers you. Enjoy the baby-moon!

DRSLondon Tue 10-Feb-15 21:54:43

Yes, I did. It will be fine. Enjoy!

Liondemer Tue 10-Feb-15 22:07:01

Yes I flew long haul at 29 and 30 weeks. You have insurance and the ok from your midwife; there's nothing stopping you! You'll have a great time.

blankfornames Wed 11-Feb-15 03:38:50

Yeah, I would. I flew at 32 weeks. No problems at all.

DontBeBlueBeARainbow Wed 11-Feb-15 08:27:19

I would too, 29 weeks was around the time I felt the best throughout pregnancy.

I'm 34 weeks now and just travelled back from Asia, involving 4 flights over 2 days, including one 13 hours flight. Lived to tell the tale.

HazleNutt Wed 11-Feb-15 08:34:38

Sure I would, and Italy is not exactly a third world country. Check that the travel insurance also covers the baby.

GoooRooo Wed 11-Feb-15 09:44:06

I would! I am going away to Turkey 20 - 22 weeks pregnant and am not worried, although I appreciate 29 weeks is a bit further along.

Go and enjoy the sun before the baby arrives!

SueV14 Wed 11-Feb-15 14:56:07

I'm having a similar "problem" myself. Planning a Caribbean holiday at around 20 weeks and a Greece trip to a wedding at around 29 weeks. Spoke with my consultant and she said she will check to see how I am to give me all clear before each trip (if no probs arise then we'll be good to go) and to get travel cancellation insurance just in case. And of course medical insurance covering you and your baby.
Also she said Caribbean is fine until 24 weeks cause risk of premature labour is very low. However she would avoid going to tiny islands with no proper hospitals after 24 weeks. Greece mainland is therefore no concern cause it will have proper healthcare in case of emergency.

Further, she told me to take 75g aspirin the day before, on the day and the day after the flight because of risk of thrombosis. I'm in the higher risk category anyways because I had problems and vein stripping surgery on both legs 5 years ago.

Last but not least, always take your notes with you on your travels in case you happen to need medical attention of any kind. Long story short I don't see any problems with going to Italy as long as you are in good health until then and your MW gives you all clear.

DrankSangriaInThePark Wed 11-Feb-15 15:01:14

I flew to Italy at 34 weeks to actually give birth. wink

If you don't have any contrary indications by that time, I'd go ahead.

Horseradishes Wed 11-Feb-15 18:09:54

Great, thanks everyone! I have increased confidence now I've read the posts smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: