Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Did you take pregnancy vitamins?

(21 Posts)
Findingthisdifficult1234 Tue 10-Feb-15 15:53:44

If so- which ones did you take and how long for?
Currently 22 weeks and feel like giving them up, I'm taking pregnancare original- every time I take it it makes me gag.
Just read another thread about folic acid and asthma and that's put me off too!
Are the vitamins worth taking?

Zsazsabinks Tue 10-Feb-15 15:58:00

Pregnacare are vile. I had some of the NHS ones but I always forget, only take them when i happen to open that cupboard in the bathroom and see them!

QueenAngst Tue 10-Feb-15 15:58:10

You definitely don't need folic acid after 12 weeks (probably earlier). The rest are down to personal choice. I chose not to take them after having awful heartburn from a pregnacare vitamin that was free in the bounty pack.

GoooRooo Tue 10-Feb-15 16:00:53

I'm taking Tesco ones but will probably stop at 12 weeks.

Littlehopeful Tue 10-Feb-15 16:07:57

None at all, my midwife and consultant told me to not take folic acid due to something with my weight and blood not sure what. But I'm only 10 weeks.

When I next see my consultant she is going to decide whether I should take vitamins then she told me not to worry for now aslong as I eat 'right'

TheWiseOldElf Tue 10-Feb-15 16:09:29

Pregnancare also made me gag. I think vit d is recommended so I took that as a separate supplement and it was fine.

losthermind Tue 10-Feb-15 16:11:48

I'm currently using he sanatogen mum to be supplement at the minute
the pregnacare and centrum pregnancy made my hyperimis much worse

Mrscog Tue 10-Feb-15 16:14:12

I haven't bothered other than folic acids in first trimester, I occasionally pop one if I remember (now 30 weeks) but I eat a good diet, and I figure women have had babies for centuries without supplementing!

Stinkylinky Tue 10-Feb-15 16:17:10

I've been taking pregnacare since finding out I was pregnant at 4 weeks. I'm 19 weeks and plan on carrying on taking it throughout

Findingthisdifficult1234 Tue 10-Feb-15 16:33:36

Maybe I should just swap to vitamin D - I Donno. I really hate pregnancare- the price, the way it makes me gag- even the taste of it touching my tongue haha! P

LittleMiss77 Tue 10-Feb-15 17:16:01

I've got Adcal from the Dr's (Vit D & Calcium I believe) and my midwife told me to take Omega 3 fish oil too. However I have trouble swallowing tablets and the fish oil is just too big for me so I've stopped them (much to my SiLs horror!)

I tried taking Sanatogen mum to be pregnancy multivitamins but they just made me sick

as a PP said, women have been having babies for thousands of years without suppliments. ..

D0nnaO Tue 10-Feb-15 17:26:34

I'm 28+2 & have been taking pregnacare original since finding out at 5 weeks. Luckily they don't make me feel ill so I'll carry on taking them throughout smile

sofatastic Tue 10-Feb-15 17:32:46

Yes. Folic acid and vitamin d3 throughout.

CountingThePennies Tue 10-Feb-15 17:33:17

I took pregnacare max. Was expensive at £20 a months supply. I took it for the whole 9 months

greenlizard Tue 10-Feb-15 18:16:33

I take Pregnacare, an omega 3 capsule (veggie) and an iron supplement with extra folic acid on prescription due to low iron count. All on the advice of my consultant. In normal cases I think you just need folic acid up to 12 weeks and vitamin D supplements to be on the safe side. I have read if you take tablets before you go to sleep you won't feel any side effects as as it will be absorbed when asleep. Might be worth a go? I have tried seven seas (which are super small so good for those who can't swallow large tablets and boots pregnancy Suppot. They are all the same really in terms of content - I go with whatever is on offer wink

M27J5M Tue 10-Feb-15 18:50:29

I used the NHS ones the mw gave me as the were tiny and much easier to take that the huge pregnacare bullets, stopped around 16 weeks (mw told me to take them full term for the vits but I kept forgetting) I'm now back on folic acid as blood tests came back showing something was low so needed topping up

Rikalaily Tue 10-Feb-15 19:33:29

Folic acid makes me sick so never took it during previous four pregnancies. Now 35 and had two losses last year so decided to suck it up and take it. Took Pregnacare until I was 9 weeks, I couldn't take them any longer than that, the sickness was awful. I take 20,000 vit D once a month anyway so have carried on with that.

applecore0317 Tue 10-Feb-15 19:39:25

pregnacare made me feel horrendous. I take the sanotogen Mum to be, have to admit I tend to take them every other day

scratchandsniff Tue 10-Feb-15 19:44:00

I took pregnacare for the first few months and then didn't bother for a while. Started to take them again recently (32 weeks) when I read that baby's growth and nutritional needs are at a peak in the last trimester. Also I felt that my fruit/veg intake wasn't as good as it could be.

Jackieharris Tue 10-Feb-15 19:48:04

I take boots own brand.

I think it's really important to take folic acid, vit d, calcium and iron.

If you can't stomach the big pill try safe in pregnancy versions of these instead (ie no vit a).

FeelTheNoise Tue 10-Feb-15 20:01:36

I'm taking the Seven Seas multi vit. It's cheaper that Pregnacare, and comes in a smaller quantity, which was handy when I bought them as I'd just found out and didn't dare think ahead! Not sure what I'll buy when they run out

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: